Logic, how to write this?

• Thread starter bobby2k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary: It is a fallacy.In summary, the conversation discusses the logical statement A∧B→D, which states that if all cats have four legs and I have four legs, then I am a cat. However, it is pointed out that this statement is not necessarily true, as it does not consider the fact that I am a dog and no dog is a cat. This leads to the conclusion that the statement A∧B∧D→C is false, as it is based on an incorrect assumption.
bobby2k

Homework Statement

This question may sound weird, but please bear with me.

Let's say that you are a dog, and you think to yourself.
"All cats have four legs, I have four legs, therefore I am a cat."
Obciously this is wrong because even though all cats have four legs, there are more creatures that have four legs.

But how would we write this in terms of logic? That is in terms of statements and the connectives → ,[itex]\wedge,\vee[/itex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is that I define a predicte:
F(x) = "x have four legs".
The predicate C(x) is "x is a cat".

Then I say that statement A is:
[itex]\forall[/itex]x[C(x)→ F(x)]
statement B is:
F(I), that is "I have four legs".
Statement D is:
C(I) "I am a cat"

Now how can I see technically that
A[itex]\wedge[/itex]B → D is false?
This last step I can't get to.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't see that it is false because you can't prove the theorem (or do not have the axiom) ~C(I). You have not included the knowledge that I am a dog and no dog is a cat. If you add these, you can prove ~C(I).

verty said:
You can't see that it is false because you can't prove the theorem (or do not have the axiom) ~C(I). You have not included the knowledge that I am a dog and no dog is a cat. If you add these, you can prove ~C(I).

Ok, is this considered formally correct?
F(x) is "x have four legs".
C(x) is "x is a cat"
D(X) is "x is a dog"

statement A:[itex]\forall[/itex]x[C(x)→ F(x)] is TRUE
statement B: F(I), that is "I have four legs". is TRUE
statement E: [itex]\forall[/itex]x[D(X)→[itex]\neg[/itex]C(x)] is TRUE, this is what you said.

Now the proposition is:
A[itex]\wedge[/itex]B[itex]\wedge[/itex]D(I) → C(I)

Now I am a little stuck. I see that statement E says that D(I)→[itex]\neg[/itex]C(I), but what happens when we do not have D(I), but A[itex]\wedge[/itex]B[itex]\wedge[/itex]D(I)?
I guess it may be stupid, but can we just say that if we have statements Q, P, H and
Q→[itex]\neg[/itex]P
then: Q[itex]\wedge[/itex]H →[itex]\neg[/itex]P?

Your "argument" would be
If P then Q
Q
Therefore P.

where P= "is a cat", Q= "has four legs".

This is called "affirming the consequent".

1. What is logic?

Logic is the study of reasoning and argumentation. It involves understanding how we use language and evidence to support our beliefs and come to conclusions about the world.

2. Why is logic important?

Logic is important because it helps us think critically and make sound decisions based on evidence and reasoning. It also allows us to analyze and evaluate arguments and identify flaws in reasoning.

3. How do I write a logical argument?

To write a logical argument, you should first clearly state your claim or position. Then, provide evidence to support your claim and use logical reasoning to connect the evidence to your conclusion. It is also important to address potential counterarguments and provide a strong conclusion.

4. What are some common logical fallacies to avoid?

Some common logical fallacies include ad hominem attacks, false dichotomy, slippery slope, and hasty generalizations. It is important to recognize these fallacies in order to strengthen your arguments and avoid making flawed reasoning.

5. How can I improve my logical thinking skills?

To improve your logical thinking skills, you can practice analyzing and evaluating arguments, reading and researching different perspectives, and learning about different logical principles and fallacies. It is also helpful to engage in critical thinking activities and discussions with others.