Matching Inner and Outer Expansions for Approximating ODE Solutions

In summary: This will give you an approximation for f'(r) that will be valid for both regions. In summary, to approximate f'(r) for the given equation, you can use matched asymptotic expansions with an inner and outer region. By matching the solutions at the boundary between the two regions, you can find an approximation for f'(r) that is valid for both regions.
Chewie666
I'm trying to approximate [itex]f'(r)[/itex] for the following equation using matched asymptotic expansions

[itex]-\frac{1}{2}\epsilon ff''=\left[\left(\epsilon+2r\right)f''\right]'[/itex]

where [itex]\epsilon \ll 1[/itex] and with the boundary conditions [itex] f(0)=f'(0)=0, \quad f'(\infty)=1[/itex]

The inner expansion which satisfies [itex] f'(0)=0[/itex] is simple enough by choosing an appropriate inner variable.

My problem is trying to form an outer expansion of the form

[itex] f'=1+\sigma(\epsilon) f_1+ \dots [/itex]

where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is found through matching. In my working I find [itex]f_i≈A_i\ln r[/itex] which obviously doesn't satisfy [itex]f'(\infty)=0[/itex] unless the constants equal zero.

I've tried introducing a stretched variable of the form [itex] \gamma =\epsilon r[/itex] but with no success.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
One approach you could take is to consider an inner region and an outer region. The inner region would be for r<\epsilon^{-1} and the outer region for r>\epsilon^{-1}. In the inner region, you can assume that \epsilon is small enough that it does not affect the solution much, and so you can make the approximation f' \approx 1 - A_1r^2. For the outer region, you can use an asymptotic expansion of the form f' = 1+\sigma(\epsilon)f_1 + \dots. You can then match the two solutions at r=\epsilon^{-1} to get a relation between \sigma and A_1.

1. What is an asymptotic expansion of an ODE?

An asymptotic expansion of an ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a method of approximating the solution to the equation by breaking it down into a series of simpler equations. This series is then used to approximate the solution of the original equation as a function of a small parameter.

2. What is the purpose of using an asymptotic expansion for ODEs?

The purpose of using an asymptotic expansion for ODEs is to approximate the solution of a complex equation in terms of a simpler series of equations. This can be useful for solving equations that do not have exact solutions, or for obtaining a solution that is valid for a specific range of values.

3. What is the difference between a regular and singular asymptotic expansion?

A regular asymptotic expansion is used when the solution to an ODE becomes infinitely large or small as the independent variable approaches a finite value. On the other hand, a singular asymptotic expansion is used when the solution becomes infinitely large or small as the independent variable approaches infinity.

4. How is an asymptotic expansion different from a Taylor series expansion?

An asymptotic expansion differs from a Taylor series expansion in that it is used to approximate the solution of an equation as a function of a small parameter, whereas a Taylor series expansion is used to approximate a function in terms of its derivatives at a specific point. An asymptotic expansion is also generally used for more complex equations, while a Taylor series is typically used for simpler functions.

5. What are some applications of asymptotic expansions in science and engineering?

Asymptotic expansions are used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They can be used to approximate solutions to differential equations in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetism. They are also commonly used in the study of nonlinear systems, chaos theory, and population dynamics. In addition, asymptotic expansions have applications in signal processing, control theory, and optimization problems.