Simple Chemistry HW Problem: Calculating Composition of a KCl and KBr Mixture

• Thread starter ChickenChakuro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the problem asks for the composition by mass percent of a mixture of KCl and KBr, which can be calculated by first finding the masses of each component and then using those values to determine the mass percent of each.
ChickenChakuro
Simple? Chemistry Problem

Hello everyone, have a quick chemistry problem I'm having trouble figuring out:

Q. A sample is a mixture of KCl and KBr. When 0.1024 g of the sample is dissolved in water and reacted with excess silver nitrate, 0.1889 g solid is obtained. What is the composition by mass percent of the original mixture?

I'm braindead. I can't even come up with the original equation...I was thinking at first that I have to split it into two equations,

[tex]KCl + AgNO_3 \rightarrow AgCl + KNO_3[/tex]

[tex]KBr + AgNO_3 \rightarrow AgBr + KNO_3[/tex]

But I'm not sure what to do next. Perhaps do mass composition of Chloride and Bromide ions? Ack. Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: The first step is to calculate the amount of KCl and KBr in the sample. We can do this using the given amounts of the sample and the product: Mass of KCl = 0.1889g - 0.1024g = 0.0865g Mass of KBr = 0.1024g - 0.0865g = 0.0159g Now we can calculate the composition by mass percent of the original mixture: KCl mass percent = (0.0865g/0.1024g) x 100% = 84.5% KBr mass percent = (0.0159g/0.1024g) x 100% = 15.5% Therefore, the composition by mass percent of the original mixture is 84.5% KCl and 15.5% KBr.

Hi there, this is a great question and I can see why you might find it challenging. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we need to understand what is happening in the reaction. When a mixture of KCl and KBr is reacted with silver nitrate, the silver ions (Ag+) will react with the chloride (Cl-) and bromide (Br-) ions to form insoluble silver chloride (AgCl) and silver bromide (AgBr) precipitates. This means that the remaining ions, potassium (K+) and nitrate (NO3-), will remain in solution.

Next, we can write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction:

KCl + AgNO3 -> AgCl + KNO3

KBr + AgNO3 -> AgBr + KNO3

Now, let's look at the given information. We know that 0.1024 g of the mixture was used and 0.1889 g of solid was obtained. We also know that the solid is a mixture of AgCl and AgBr in a 1:1 ratio, meaning that the mass of AgCl and AgBr are equal.

Using this information, we can set up a system of equations to solve for the mass of each component in the original mixture:

0.1024 g mixture = x g KCl + y g KBr (where x and y are the masses of KCl and KBr, respectively)

0.1889 g solid = x g AgCl + y g AgBr (since the mass of AgCl and AgBr are equal)

Solving this system of equations, we get x = 0.075 g and y = 0.0279 g. This means that the original mixture contained 0.075 g of KCl and 0.0279 g of KBr.

To find the mass percent composition of each component, we divide the mass of each component by the total mass of the mixture and multiply by 100%:

Mass percent KCl = (0.075 g / 0.1024 g) * 100% = 73.24%

Mass percent KBr = (0.0279 g / 0.1024 g) * 100% = 27.19%

Therefore, the composition by mass percent of the original mixture is 73.24% KCl and 27.19% KBr.

I hope this helps clarify the problem

1. What is a simple chemistry HW problem?

A simple chemistry HW problem is a practice question or exercise that tests your understanding of basic concepts and principles in chemistry. It usually involves calculations, application of chemical equations, and problem-solving skills.

2. How do I approach a simple chemistry HW problem?

To approach a simple chemistry HW problem, you should first read and understand the problem statement. Then, identify the given information and what is being asked. Next, use your knowledge of chemistry concepts and equations to solve the problem, showing all the steps and units used. Finally, review your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. What are common mistakes to avoid in solving simple chemistry HW problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in solving simple chemistry HW problems include incorrect unit conversions, using incorrect formulas or equations, and not paying attention to significant figures. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve simple chemistry HW problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve simple chemistry HW problems. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that you are using the correct mathematical operations. You should also round your final answer to the appropriate number of significant figures.

5. How can I improve my performance in solving simple chemistry HW problems?

To improve your performance in solving simple chemistry HW problems, you can practice regularly and work on strengthening your understanding of chemistry concepts. You can also review past mistakes and learn from them, ask for help from your teacher or classmates, and use study aids such as flashcards or practice quizzes.