Determining the spring constant from Force vs dL data

In summary: From the Table and using k=F/x:Force (N) Δl (m) k (N/m)281 0.10 2810353 0.15 2353.3665 0.30 2216.7977 0.45 2171.11049 0.50 2098
tdoyzz
1. To the intelligent mind, need some help with the following:

Here is a table of the force applied to a spring and the resulting extension, Δl.

Force (N) Δl (m)
281 0.10
353 0.15
665 0.30
977 0.45
1049 0.50Plot a graph of Force vs. Δl.
What is the spring constant?2. F = -kx; U = .5kx^2 3. I figured this was pretty simple at first. But then, after plotting the data, I found that the slope is not consistent. Also, after rearranging for k and plugging in the values, I got a different k value every time.
Please help. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tdoyzz said:
1. To the intelligent mind, need some help with the following:

Here is a table of the force applied to a spring and the resulting extension, Δl.

Force (N) Δl (m)
281 0.10
353 0.15
665 0.30
977 0.45
1049 0.50

Plot a graph of Force vs. Δl.
What is the spring constant?

2. F = -kx; U = .5kx^2

3. I figured this was pretty simple at first. But then, after plotting the data, I found that the slope is not consistent. Also, after rearranging for k and plugging in the values, I got a different k value every time.
Please help. Thanks

Can you fill out the table with the k values that you calculate? (Hint -- use the "code" tags to enclose the table to keep the columns lined up)

If there are variations in k, are they monotonic or more random? What explanations can you think of for the variations?

--deleted-- ...I like Berkeman's approach better.

Ok..

From the Table and using k=F/x:

Force (N) Δl (m) k (N/m)
281 0.10 2810
353 0.15 2353.3
665 0.30 2216.7
977 0.45 2171.1
1049 0.50 2098

Could the variations have something to do with the springs pot. energy?

This is a question on my pre-lab and I believe we are experimenting with a bosun's chair attached to a spring attached to the ceiling... if that helps.

Sorry for the columns not being lined up again... I'm new to this site.

1. What is the spring constant and why is it important?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant or stiffness, is a measure of the resistance of a spring to deformation when a force is applied. It is important because it determines the strength of a spring and how much it will stretch or compress under a given force.

2. How do you determine the spring constant from Force vs dL data?

The spring constant can be determined by plotting the force vs. displacement (dL) data on a graph and finding the slope of the line. The slope represents the spring constant, which is equal to the change in force over the change in displacement.

3. What units are used to measure the spring constant?

The units of the spring constant depend on the units used for force and displacement. In the SI system, the standard unit for the spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m).

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material, length, and thickness of the spring. It can also change if the material undergoes changes in temperature or if the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit.

5. How accurate is the spring constant calculated from Force vs dL data?

The accuracy of the calculated spring constant depends on the quality of the data and the precision of the measurements. It is important to use appropriate equipment and techniques to ensure accurate results. Additionally, repeating the experiment multiple times and taking an average can improve the accuracy of the calculated spring constant.