Derivative of Riemann zeta function

In summary, the derivative of the Riemann zeta function at the origin is -1/2. However, if you set s=0, the second integral doesn't converge.
TriTertButoxy
I'm trying to evaluate the derivative of the Riemann zeta function at the origin, [itex]\zeta'(0)[/itex], starting from its integral representation
[tex]\zeta(s)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(s)}\int_0^\infty t^{s-1}\frac{1}{e^t-1}.[/tex]
I don't want to use a symbolic algebra system like Mathematica or Maple.

I am able to continue to [itex]s=0[/itex] and evaluate the zeta function there [itex]\zeta(0)=-1/2[/itex]. I'm just stuck on how to evaluate the derivative.

Can somebody show me how to do this starting from the integral representation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
d/ds{ts-1/Γ(s)} = {(s-1)ts-2Γ(s) - ts-1Γ'(s)}/Γ(s)2=f(s,t). The integrand is f(s,t)/(et-1)

\begin{array}\\\zeta (s)=\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t-1}}dt\\
\frac{d}{ds}\zeta (s)=\frac{d}{ds}\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t-1}}dt+\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\frac{d}{ds}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t-1}}dt=\frac{-1}{\Gamma^2 (s)}\frac{d}{ds}\Gamma (s)\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t-1}}dt+\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{d}{ds}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t-1}}dt\\

\zeta' (s)=\frac{-1}{\Gamma^2 (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}t^{s-1}e^{-t}\ln{t}dt\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t-1}}dt+\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t-1}}\ln{t}dt\end{array}

Now put s=0 and integrate!

Hi thanks, but the -1 is not in the exponential.
Its [itex]\frac{1}{e^t-1}[/itex] not [itex]\frac{1}{e^{t-1}}[/itex].

TriTertButoxy said:
Hi thanks, but the -1 is not in the exponential.
Its [itex]\frac{1}{e^t-1}[/itex] not [itex]\frac{1}{e^{t-1}}[/itex].

Oh yes you are right! My mistake :frown:

\begin{array}\\\zeta (s)=\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^t-1}dt\\
\frac{d}{ds}\zeta (s)=\frac{d}{ds}\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^t-1}dt+\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\frac{d}{ds}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^t-1}dt=\frac{-1}{\Gamma^2 (s)}\frac{d}{ds}\Gamma (s)\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^t-1}dt+\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{d}{ds}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^t-1}dt\\

\zeta' (s)=\frac{-1}{\Gamma^2 (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}t^{s-1}e^{-t}\ln{t}dt\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^t-1}dt+\frac{1}{\Gamma (s)}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{s-1}}{e^t-1}\ln{t}dt\end{array}

Now it is correct

Ok, that sounds good; but now what? How do I do those integrals? If I set s=0, the second integral doesn't converge...

TriTertButoxy said:
Ok, that sounds good; but now what? How do I do those integrals? If I set s=0, the second integral doesn't converge...

If you set s=0 (almost) all integrals(including Γ(s) and Γ'(s)) will diverge but a combination of them could actually converge.
My advice: calculate the integrals(you may need power series for some) and replace them with limits. Then, simplify everything and hope that the final limit won't be infinite

thanks. I've tried taking the power series. But in the end, the final sum doesn't converge. I'm afraid I'm going to need help till the bitter end on this one.

1. What is the Riemann zeta function?

The Riemann zeta function is a mathematical function that was first defined by the mathematician Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century. It is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers and has many fascinating properties.

2. What is the derivative of the Riemann zeta function?

The derivative of the Riemann zeta function is a mathematical function that describes the rate of change of the zeta function with respect to its variable, which is usually denoted as "s". It is an important tool in studying the behavior and properties of the zeta function.

3. How is the derivative of the Riemann zeta function calculated?

The derivative of the Riemann zeta function can be calculated using a mathematical technique called complex analysis. This involves using complex numbers and functions to analyze the behavior of the zeta function and its derivative.

4. What is the significance of the derivative of the Riemann zeta function?

The derivative of the Riemann zeta function has several important applications in number theory and other areas of mathematics. It is used to study the distribution of prime numbers, the behavior of the zeta function at critical points, and in the study of the Riemann hypothesis.

5. Are there any known open problems related to the derivative of the Riemann zeta function?

Yes, the Riemann hypothesis is a famous open problem in mathematics that is closely related to the derivative of the Riemann zeta function. It states that all non-trivial zeros of the zeta function lie on the critical line with a real part of 1/2. Proving or disproving this hypothesis has been a challenge for mathematicians for over a century.