Given Any Measurable Space, Is There Always a Topological Space Generating it?

In summary, the smallest measurable space that is generated by a topological space is the same as the topological space.
linulysses
As well known, for any topological space (X,T), there is a smallest measurable space (X,M) such that T\subset M. We say that (X,M) is generated by (X,T). Right now, I was wondering whether the "reverse" is true: for any measurable space (X,M), there exists a finest topological space (X,T) such that the smallest measurable space generated by (X,T) is exactly (X,M).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does T=M not work?

Not really, since M is not always a topology. For example, the Borel subsets of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]is not a topology, since it contains the singletons, thus the topology would have to be discrete.

I have no counterexample, but I guess the Lebesgue sigma-algebra could be one. I don't immediately see a topology that generates it...

micromass said:
Not really, since M is not always a topology. For example, the Borel subsets of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]is not a topology, since it contains the singletons, thus the topology would have to be discrete.

I have no counterexample, but I guess the Lebesgue sigma-algebra could be one. I don't immediately see a topology that generates it...

I would guess it is true and have a candidate proof. Let S be the collection of all topological spaces (X,T') such that T' \subset M. Then S is nonempty and partially ordered. If we could prove that every chain in S has an upper bound in S, then we can apply Zorn's lemma to assert the existence of the maximal (X,T). Next, we can show that (X,T) generates (X,M). Unfortunately, I have no idea about proving the essential statement that "every chain in S has an upper bound in S".

Any idea? or that statement is actually false?

Well, we all know what the upper bound should be: the topology generated by

[tex]\bigcup_{i\in I}{\mathcal{T}_i}[/tex]

But I don't think it's necessarily true that this is a subset of M. Furthermore, it's not even obvious to me that the maximal element should generate the sigma-algebra, but I think that would be true: if T does not generate M, then there is a set A which is not generated by T, then we should look at [itex]\mathcal{T}\cup\{A\}[/itex]...

I'm checking out books of descriptive set theory and boolean algebras, perhaps I'll find something useful in there...

micromass said:
Well, we all know what the upper bound should be: the topology generated by

[tex]\bigcup_{i\in I}{\mathcal{T}_i}[/tex]

But I don't think it's necessarily true that this is a subset of M. Furthermore, it's not even obvious to me that the maximal element should generate the sigma-algebra, but I think that would be true: if T does not generate M, then there is a set A which is not generated by T, then we should look at [itex]\mathcal{T}\cup\{A\}[/itex]...

I'm checking out books of descriptive set theory and boolean algebras, perhaps I'll find something useful in there...

Yes, exactly, to prove that [tex]\bigcup_{i\in I}{\mathcal{T}_i}[/tex] is a subset of M or to find out a counterexample puzzles me...

micromass said:
Yah, you're right. That'll teach me to make a quick reply!

Here's another interesting thing I've found

Let X be a topological space satisfying Baire's theorem and let M be the set of meager Borel sets (which is a sigma-complete ideal of Bor(X)), then Bor(X)/M=RO(X) (=the regular open subsets).

So, this would give an indication of how to find the topology that generates the Lebesgue algebra: take all the meager Lebesgue sets, and find representatives of Leb(X)/M. The topology generates by these representatives should generate the Lebesgue algebra.

So, I kind of think your question is true. And using this and my previous post could provide a method to prove this.

More information can be found in "Handbook of Boolean algebra's" by Monk & Bonnet in p182...

micromass said:
Here's another interesting thing I've found

Let X be a topological space satisfying Baire's theorem and let M be the set of meager Borel sets (which is a sigma-complete ideal of Bor(X)), then Bor(X)/M=RO(X) (=the regular open subsets).

So, this would give an indication of how to find the topology that generates the Lebesgue algebra: take all the meager Lebesgue sets, and find representatives of Leb(X)/M. The topology generates by these representatives should generate the Lebesgue algebra.

So, I kind of think your question is true. And using this and my previous post could provide a method to prove this.

More information can be found in "Handbook of Boolean algebra's" by Monk & Bonnet in p182...

Well, definitely I need some time to consume those you provided. I will get back to you if I make breakthrough on this direction. Thanks a lot~

1. What is a measurable space?

A measurable space is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of elements and a sigma-algebra, which is a collection of subsets of the set that are considered "measurable" in a certain context.

2. What is a topological space?

A topological space is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of elements and a topology, which is a collection of subsets of the set that are considered "open" sets. This allows for the study of properties such as continuity and convergence in the space.

3. What does it mean for a topological space to generate a measurable space?

When a topological space "generates" a measurable space, it means that the topology of the space can be used to define a sigma-algebra on the set of elements, which in turn allows for the measurement of subsets of the set.

4. Is a topological space always able to generate a measurable space?

No, not all topological spaces can generate a measurable space. In order for a topological space to generate a measurable space, it must have certain properties such as being Hausdorff and being second countable.

5. What are some practical applications of this concept?

This concept has applications in many areas of mathematics, including probability theory, measure theory, and functional analysis. It is also used in fields such as physics and economics to study and analyze data and phenomena in a measurable way.