Range and Elevation Equations

• Thread starter r_swayze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the problem at hand involves a long jump event on the moon to qualify for the Olympics. The jumper must jump 7.52 m to qualify and can run at a maximum speed of 5.90 m/s. The goal is to determine the maximum rate of freefall acceleration the moon can have in order for the jumper to achieve their dream. Relevant equations include change in x = (-v^2 sin(2*theta)) / ay, where theta represents the angle at which the jumper leaves the ground, and for maximum range, sin2θ should be 1 or θ should be 45 degrees. However, this calculation requires calculus and assumes the jumper as a point object.
r_swayze
I have no idea where to begin with this problem. To me it seems like its missing information.

You desperately want to qualify for the Olympics in the long jump, so you decide to hold the qualifying event on the moon of your choice. You need to jump 7.52 m to qualify. The maximum speed at which you can run at any location is 5.90 m/s. What is the magnitude of the maximum rate of freefall acceleration the moon can have for you to achieve your dream?

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
r_swayze said:
I have no idea where to begin with this problem. To me it seems like its missing information.

You desperately want to qualify for the Olympics in the long jump, so you decide to hold the qualifying event on the moon of your choice. You need to jump 7.52 m to qualify. The maximum speed at which you can run at any location is 5.90 m/s. What is the magnitude of the maximum rate of freefall acceleration the moon can have for you to achieve your dream?

any help?
Problem is based on the projectile motion. Can you state the relevant equations?
Here the range and the initial velocity is given.
What should the the angle projection for maximum range?

rl.bhat said:
Problem is based on the projectile motion. Can you state the relevant equations?
Here the range and the initial velocity is given.
What should the the angle projection for maximum range?

according to the book the relevant equation is:

change in x = (-v^2 sin(2*theta)) / ay

I don't know theta so I don't think I can use this equation right?

and isn't 5.90 m/s the velocity of the x component? or is that the initial velocity of the jump?

r_swayze said:

That's correct. Without calculus you can't calculate what trajectory will give you the greatest distance. On the other hand, maybe you were told it was 45 degrees.

r_swayze said:
according to the book the relevant equation is:

change in x = (-v^2 sin(2*theta)) / ay

and isn't 5.90 m/s the velocity of the x component? or is that the initial velocity of the jump?
The velocity is the initial velocity of jump. For maximum range, sin2θ should be 1 or θ should be 45 degrees.

How is theta defined in that equation?

Phrak said:
How is theta defined in that equation?
The angle through which the long jumper leaves the ground. But you have to assume him as a point object.

1. What is the range equation?

The range equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the maximum distance a projectile will travel in a given environment. It takes into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the range equation derived?

The range equation is derived from the equations of motion and the principles of projectile motion. It involves using calculus and trigonometry to solve for the distance traveled by a projectile in a given time period.

3. What is the elevation equation?

The elevation equation is a mathematical formula used to determine the height or elevation of a projectile at a given time during its flight. It takes into account the initial vertical velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

4. How is the elevation equation different from the range equation?

The elevation equation and the range equation are similar in that they both involve calculating the motion of a projectile. However, the elevation equation focuses on the vertical motion of the projectile, while the range equation focuses on the horizontal motion.

5. How are range and elevation equations used in real-world applications?

Range and elevation equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and military science. They are used to predict the trajectory and landing point of projectiles, and are also used in the design of weapons, sports equipment, and aerospace technology.