Melting Plastic and Manufacturing

In summary, the conversation discusses using plastic injection molding to create a small and specific plastic object in large quantities. The cost associated with tooling a mold and producing a few thousand objects is also mentioned. The conversation also considers other potential methods such as melting and re-pouring plastics or extruding and cutting them to length. However, it is concluded that injection molding is the most efficient method for high volume production. The use of thermoplastic polymers, specifically Polycaprolactone, is also suggested as a way to melt and reform plastic without causing it to catch fire.
Wetmelon
Hey PF,

I normally frequent the EE portion of this board, but I had a question about plastics and plastic injection molding.

A buddy and I have an idea to create a rather small and specific plastic object in large quantities. We thought that to create small prototype quantities, we could melt plastics and re-pour them into our mold. Is this even possible, or do I need a high pressure to stop the plastics from burning instead of melting?

As for injection molding, what kind of costs are associated with tooling a mold and doing a production run (say of a few thousand objects of volume ~140mm^3 ABS plastic with designs on the surface)? Is there a better method to do what I'm thinking?

Attachments

• AirsoftPellet_HD.jpg
    AirsoftPellet_HD.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 559
Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps I should re-phrase. I want to use injection molding to produce the item in the post above. I would need to produce only about 1000 as a prototype, but production would require hundreds of thousands (to millions eventually). Is injection molding the right path, or should I look at some other technology?

The injection molding cost depends on the size and design as well as the parts needed for creating the molded material.

Injection molding is certainly your best bet. I've worked with a local company called BOJO (http://www.bojoinc.com/) who can answer all the questions, make molds, and make your parts. The mold cost will be based on the projected volumes, as one mold could make 1-up or 100-up of these at the same time. Ask for Matt.

Actually, in the period since i posted this, I though perhaps extruding the plastic, rounding the end, then cutting to length would be more effective. Any thoughts?

Note that the pellet is 6mm diameter (approx)

In high volume, nothing beats injection molding.

If you do try to make them in your mold, there are certain types of plastics/polymers that can be melted. Basically you have thermoplastic polymers and thermosetting polymers. Thermoplastic can be melted and reformed, but don't use a direct flame or they might catch fire. A simple one to use depending on what it's used for is Polycaprolactone (google it) because you can essentially melt it in a hot water bath. Anyway, this is all just fyi. Good luck!

P.S. Polycaprolactone is sold as polymorph, shape lock, and a couple other brand names.

Last edited:

1. How is plastic melted for manufacturing?

Plastic is melted through a process called extrusion, where the raw plastic material is heated to a high temperature and then pushed through a mold or die to give it a desired shape. This process can also involve additives to improve the strength and durability of the plastic.

2. What types of plastic can be melted for manufacturing?

There are many types of plastic that can be melted for manufacturing, including polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, and PVC. Each type has its own unique properties and uses, making them suitable for different products and industries.

3. What are the benefits of melting plastic for manufacturing?

Melting plastic for manufacturing allows for the creation of complex and intricate shapes that would be difficult or impossible to achieve with other materials. It also allows for mass production at a relatively low cost, making it a cost-effective option for many industries.

4. Is melting plastic for manufacturing harmful to the environment?

There are potential environmental concerns with melting plastic for manufacturing, as it can release harmful chemicals and contribute to air pollution. However, when done properly and with proper waste management practices in place, the impact can be minimized.

5. How is the quality of melted plastic controlled in the manufacturing process?

The quality of melted plastic is controlled through a combination of factors, including the type and quality of the raw materials, the temperature and pressure used in the melting process, and the design and maintenance of the molds or dies. Quality control measures are also put in place throughout the manufacturing process to ensure consistent and high-quality products.