Have you tried FreeCAD or DraftSight as alternatives to expensive CAD software?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's positive experience with FreeCAD and their interest in DraftSight as a more affordable alternative to commercial CAD software. Another speaker shares their experience using AutoCAD LT and Solidworks, but ultimately recommends giving DraftSight a try due to its similar functionality and cost-effectiveness. A third speaker also praises DraftSight's capabilities, particularly for those familiar with AutoCAD and dealing with DWG files.
s09
Currently digging in FreeCAD and I like what I see. Still very much in the development phase with lots of functionality that needs to be implemented. I've heard of DraftSight, not sure how well that works.

The reason for this is that commercial CAD software is *wicked* expensive. Hundreds of dollars for a "standard" edition makes me cringe... and run for free/open source alternatives :-) .

What have your experiences been?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have used AutoCAD LT for many years. After getting work to fork out much more money for a license of Solidworks, I thought it only fair to give DraftSight a go and save the extra license fee for AutoCAD Lite.

The interface is not as polished, but it generally does all that AutoCAD LT used to do for me and it does deal with complicated (>20 layers) DWG files well enough. Those used to using paper space and model space will also feel at home (there are only a few of those in my experience).

Given the price difference (it is free) I would recommend giving DarftSight a go. Especially if you have experience of AutoCAD and have to manage DWG files.

Ive used draftsight cad before. Very good indeed!

What is free/open source CAD software?

Free/open source CAD software is a type of computer-aided design (CAD) software that is available for use at no cost and is developed and maintained by a community of users rather than a single company. It is typically licensed under an open source license, which allows users to modify and distribute the software.

What are the benefits of using free/open source CAD software?

There are several benefits to using free/open source CAD software, including cost savings, flexibility, and community support. Since the software is free, it can save users a significant amount of money compared to proprietary CAD software. It also allows for greater flexibility and customization, as users are able to modify the source code to better fit their needs. Additionally, there is a large community of users who contribute to the development and support of the software, providing a wealth of resources and knowledge.

What are some popular free/open source CAD software options?

Some popular free/open source CAD software options include FreeCAD, LibreCAD, and OpenSCAD. These programs offer a variety of features and tools for 2D and 3D design and are continuously being updated and improved by the community.

Is free/open source CAD software as good as paid CAD software?

This ultimately depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user. Free/open source CAD software can offer many of the same features and capabilities as paid software, but it may have a steeper learning curve and may not have the same level of technical support. However, for many users, the cost savings and flexibility of free/open source CAD software make it a viable and effective option.

Are there any drawbacks to using free/open source CAD software?

One potential drawback of using free/open source CAD software is that it may not have the same level of technical support as paid software. Additionally, because it is developed and maintained by a community rather than a single company, there may be a lack of consistency in user experience and compatibility with other software. However, these potential drawbacks can often be mitigated by the large and active community of users who are willing to offer support and solutions to any issues that may arise.