What happens when a large amount of antimatter gets in contact with matter ?

In summary, the reaction between matter and antimatter is fast enough to annihilate 1 kg of antimatter exposed to air, although a two-megaton nuclear bomb would be a less technically demanding way of doing the same amount of damage.
Hurricane93
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and I don't have the knowledge you guys have about Physics, so my questions will be very simple.

Yesterday I was reading a topic about using the antimatter as a weapon, and someone said it is impractical for many reasons, and he stated some, but only one got my attention. He said, if you have a large amount of antimatter contained safely in a container, when this antimatter meets the matter, it won't annihilate completely as the first particles that are annihilated will prevent the rest of the antimatter particles from touching their "matter" particles and thus, stopping the reaction. So is that true ?

So my question here is, how fast is the reaction between matter and antimatter ?
Because if it is not fast enough, then using large amount of antimatter won't be useful, because only the first particles and antiparticles to touch each others will annihilate and the rest of antimatter will be lost.

I'm sorry if my question seem too ignorant or unclear. I don't speak English very well so I did my best to describe what I wanted. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you think about it, you can't really "lose" antimatter. It annihilates with any sort of normal matter, including air.

Bandersnatch said:
Well, if you think about it, you can't really "lose" antimatter. It annihilates with any sort of normal matter, including air.

How ? Can antihydrogen react with something like plastic or steel ?

Hurricane93 said:

Which part of "It annihilates with any sort of normal matter, including air." did you not understand?

Hurricane93 said:

Yes. Plastic and steel, like all matter, are composed of protons, neutrons, and electrons.

Anti-hydrogen, like all anti-matter, is composed of anti-protons, anti-neutrons, and anti-electrons (well, anti-hydrogen is a bit short on anti-neutrons, for the same reason that normal hydrogen is a bit short on neutrons, but that doesn't change the result).

Thus, no matter what you choose for your matter and anti-matter, you get the same set of happily (and violently) interacting and annihilating particles and anti-particles.

It doesn't matter what "atoms" they are assembled into. The anti-electrons (positrons) and anti-protons (which don't appear to have a special name) will be annihilated by the regular electrons and protons in the air.

So how fast is that reaction ?
Is it fast enough to annihilate say 1 kg of antimatter exposed to air to be effective as a weapon ?

Hurricane93 said:
So how fast is that reaction ?
Is it fast enough to annihilate say 1 kg of antimatter exposed to air to be effective as a weapon ?

Yes, although a two-megaton nuclear bomb would be a less technically demanding way of doing the same amount of damage.

Nugatory said:
Yes, although a two-megaton nuclear bomb would be a less technically demanding way of doing the same amount of damage.
Huh, my back of an envelope says 40 megatons.
Or is there large neutrino content taking away that energy?

Nugatory said:

one kilogram of antimatter annihilating with another kilogram of matter would produce :
2 * (3*10^8)^2 Joules which is 1.8*10^17 joules. A megaton of TNT has the equivalent energy of 4.184*10^15 joules. So 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter produces about 43 megatons TNT equivalent of energy, not two.

And although neutrino take away energy, it ever exceed 50%-60% of the energy released (usually, it is much less than that) depending on the antimatter used. I might be wrong though.

Bandersnatch said:
Huh, my back of an envelope says 40 megatons.
Or is there large neutrino content taking away that energy?

You're right.
I lost a factor of two by forgetting that a kilogram of normal matter is being annihilated along with the anti-matter and I lost a factor of ten by forgetting the coefficient in front of 108 in the speed of light... c2 is 1017 not 1016... I thought it sounded too low.

1. What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter that is composed of antiparticles, which have the same mass as their corresponding particles but opposite charge. For example, an antiproton has the same mass as a proton but has a negative charge, and a positron has the same mass as an electron but has a positive charge.

2. What happens when antimatter and matter come into contact?

When antimatter and matter come into contact, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is the reverse of the creation of matter and antimatter in the early universe.

3. Is antimatter dangerous?

In small quantities, antimatter is not dangerous as it is routinely produced and stored in scientific facilities. However, a large amount of antimatter coming into contact with an equal amount of matter could result in a powerful explosion.

4. Can antimatter be used as a source of energy?

Yes, in theory, antimatter could be a highly efficient source of energy due to the large amount of energy released when it comes into contact with matter. However, the production and storage of antimatter are currently very expensive and challenging, making it impractical as a source of energy at this time.

5. How is antimatter created?

Antimatter can be created through high-energy collisions of particles, such as in particle accelerators, or through radioactive decay of certain elements. However, due to the scarcity of antimatter in the universe, it is difficult to produce and requires advanced technology and resources.