Theoretical Astrophysics - Still a route to go?

In summary: It's not just the career opportunities that dwindle, although that's definitely a part of it. The main problem is that a good scientist is not valued in our society. In fact, most jobs that require a degree in science don't even offer a good salary. So if you're not happy with making a good salary as a professor, imagine how you'll feel when you can't even make ends meet as one.It's not just the career opportunities that dwindle, although that's definitely a part of it. The main problem is that a good scientist is not valued in our society. In fact, most jobs that require a degree in science don't even offer a good salary.
kennethkhoo
Hey all,

I've been reading tons of story on theoretical physicist not having a job, and end up going to other fields such as finance etc. While we do still earn a living, the situation is pretty hard: why bother to spend ~7 years for a phd to end up in somewhere else? I mean there're better degrees to take - like Masters in Financial engineering. Hence my question:

For those who got a phd in theoretical physics and currently working (inside/outside academia), will you still recommend an enthusiast student to pursue their career in theoretical physics? Why/Why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
People still try to join the music industry even though there isn't a great chance it will work and they do so because they love it enough to try.

jesse73 said:
People still try to join the music industry even though there isn't a great chance it will work and they do so because they love it enough to try.

This is why I do it.

Hopefully, one acquires some skills along the way that are transferable to regular or semi-technical day jobs in case one doesn't have any other choice (math, electronics/optics, eloquent writing and basic programming).

IMO, it is still a lot safer than becoming a virtuoso musician, what can they do with their skills other than be instructors if they fail to secure record/tour deals?

I can't claim the wisdom of years quite yet, and I'm not sure just how hard it is to get an academic job, or will be in the future, but I think there's an easy litmus test:

If you couldn't get a job as a professor or researcher, would you still be happy to invest all that time and learn all those things? If you ended up in another industry, would you still be glad that you have that knowledge, or would you think of it as a waste? Of course, your opinions may change over time, but since you can't know the future, my feeling is that the answer to that question is the biggest indicator of whether or not one should pursue a higher degree.

bossman27 said:
I can't claim the wisdom of years quite yet, and I'm not sure just how hard it is to get an academic job, or will be in the future, but I think there's an easy litmus test:

If you couldn't get a job as a professor or researcher, would you still be happy to invest all that time and learn all those things? If you ended up in another industry, would you still be glad that you have that knowledge, or would you think of it as a waste? Of course, your opinions may change over time, but since you can't know the future, my feeling is that the answer to that question is the biggest indicator of whether or not one should pursue a higher degree.

Hmm.. this is a good test! My first instinct now is no... Although I enjoy learning something, I don't like seeing what I learned get flushed down the toilet...

I should seriously reconsider my decision..

bossman27 said:

Indeed, the decisions of your life are not merely a means to an end! If you truly enjoy the process of research and such, then the choice is between getting to do what you love for several years or simply not doing it at all.

bossman27 said:

This is a very apt statement. Like you I don't know much about the subject, but in my opinion a good scientist goes through all of the trouble of grad school simply to learn more about the universe we live in. In that case grad school is its own reward, and if it isn't perhaps science in the right path for you.

1. What is theoretical astrophysics?

Theoretical astrophysics is a branch of astrophysics that uses mathematical and theoretical models to study the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena. It involves using principles of physics and mathematics to develop theories and predictions about the universe.

2. How does theoretical astrophysics differ from observational astrophysics?

Theoretical astrophysics focuses on developing theories and models to explain and predict the behavior of celestial objects, while observational astrophysics involves collecting and analyzing data from observations and experiments. Theoretical astrophysicists use mathematical and theoretical tools, while observational astrophysicists use telescopes and other instruments to observe and measure phenomena in the universe.

3. Is theoretical astrophysics still relevant in modern astronomy?

Yes, theoretical astrophysics is still a crucial aspect of modern astronomy. It helps us understand the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the universe and allows us to make predictions about the evolution and behavior of celestial objects. Theoretical astrophysics also plays a crucial role in testing and refining our understanding of the universe through observations and experiments.

4. What are some current research topics in theoretical astrophysics?

Some current research topics in theoretical astrophysics include the study of dark matter and dark energy, the formation and evolution of galaxies, the behavior of black holes, the origin and fate of the universe, and the search for extraterrestrial life. Theoretical astrophysicists also work on developing new models and theories to explain observed phenomena and to fill in gaps in our understanding of the universe.

5. What skills and knowledge are required to work in theoretical astrophysics?

To work in theoretical astrophysics, one typically needs a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer programming. A deep understanding of astrophysics and astronomy principles is also essential, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are also crucial for developing and testing theoretical models and predictions.