Exploring Temperature: From Atomic Vibration to Plasma Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of temperature and its relation to atoms, plasma physics, and entropy. The participants also discuss a calculation of the sun's temperature and the importance of checking units. The conversation concludes with a mention of the Stefan-Boltzman law and its role in understanding temperature.
rogerk8
Hi!

I wonder what temperature really is.

I have learned that temperature comes from the fact that atoms vibrate.

But in plasma physics it can be related to the actual speed of particles.

So what is temperature?

It was interesting and educational to read the new thread regarding heat capacity but I think my question requires a new thread.

By the way, is there anything wrong with the following calculation of the sun's temperature (considering the sun's radiation being isotropic):

[tex]I_s=\frac{P}{S_s}=\frac{P}{4\pi R_s^2}=k*T_s[/tex]
[tex]I_e=\frac{P}{4\pi (AU)^2}=k*T_e[/tex]
[tex]T_s=T_e*\frac{I_s}{I_e}=T_e*(\frac{AU}{R_s})^2=300*(\frac{1,5*10^{11}}{700*10^6})^2=14MK[/tex]

I really am not sure what I have calculated but wikipedia says that the sun core temperature is some 16MK. Which is pretty close even though I was aiming at the sun's surface temperature...

Roger

Science news on Phys.org
Conceptually, Temperature is a measure of the tendency to donate heat. When to objects come in contact, the one with higher temperature will donate heat to the one with lower temperature

rogerk8 said:
So what is temperature?
A relation between entropy and internal energy:

$$\frac 1 T = \left(\frac {\partial S} {\partial E}\right)_{V,N}$$

By the way, is there anything wrong with the following calculation of the sun's temperature (considering the sun's radiation being isotropic):

[tex]I_s=\frac{P}{S_s}=\frac{P}{4\pi R_s^2}=k*T_s[/tex]
[tex]I_e=\frac{P}{4\pi (AU)^2}=k*T_e[/tex]
[tex]T_s=T_e*\frac{I_s}{I_e}=T_e*(\frac{AU}{R_s})^2=300*(\frac{1,5*10^{11}}{700*10^6})^2=14MK[/tex]
You should have used the Stefan-Boltzman law. What are you using here? The units aren't even correct with your equation. The left-hand side has units of mass/time3, the right of energy (mass*length2/time2). Always check your units.

D H said:
A relation between entropy and internal energy:

$$\frac 1 T = \left(\frac {\partial S} {\partial E}\right)_{V,N}$$You should have used the Stefan-Boltzman law. What are you using here? The units aren't even correct with your equation. The left-hand side has units of mass/time3, the right of energy (mass*length2/time2). Always check your units.

Hi D H!

Thank you for your input!

Let's recalculate now that I have studied the Stefan-Boltzman Law:

[tex]I_s=\frac{P}{S_s}=\frac{P}{4\pi R_s^2}=k*T_s^4[/tex]
[tex]I_e=\frac{P}{4\pi (AU)^2}=k*T_e^4[/tex]
[tex]T_s=T_e*(\frac{I_s}{I_e})^{1/4}=T_e*(\frac{AU}{R_s})^{1/2}=300*(\frac{1,5*10^{11}}{700*10^6})^{1/2}=4391K[/tex]

Which isn't so far from 5800K.

Roger
PS
Your entropy formula didn't say me much but now I at least have some words to google.

By the way, P stands for power which I have stolen from acoustics.

Temperature tells you which direction heat will travel. For positive temperatures, heat will travel from a higher temperature to a lower temperature. The end result is an increase in entropy. This will continue until temperatures are equal, at which point the entropy is at a maximum.

1. What is temperature and how is it measured?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as thermometers, which use the expansion or contraction of a liquid or gas to determine the temperature.

2. How does temperature affect the behavior of atoms and molecules?

As temperature increases, the particles in a substance gain more kinetic energy and move faster. This can lead to changes in the behavior of atoms and molecules, such as increased vibration and collisions.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and states of matter?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the state of matter of a substance. At low temperatures, particles are closely packed together and may form a solid. As temperature increases, particles gain enough energy to break free from their fixed positions and the substance transitions to a liquid or gas state.

4. How does temperature affect plasma physics?

Plasma is a state of matter that occurs at very high temperatures, where particles have so much energy that they break apart into ions and electrons. Temperature is a key factor in determining the properties and behavior of plasma, such as its density and ability to conduct electricity.

5. How does temperature impact everyday life?

Temperature has a significant impact on our daily lives. It affects the weather, our comfort levels, and the functioning of many devices and processes. Temperature also plays a crucial role in industries such as food production, medicine, and energy production.