Hi, I'm new to this forum and I could use some help. I'm a freshman

In summary, Ben thinks that meta-materials will soon be able to do amazing things, and that the tech industry will be the biggest beneficiary. He also thinks that meta-materials will be very expensive in the near future, but that could change.
Bzern
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I could use some help. I'm a freshman in high school and for a school project, we have to make a magazine. My group and I are doing a tech and general science magazine. I'm writing a feature story on metamaterials, and a future where they are abundant. We need contacts and quotes from people that about the subject, and the people who I emailed last week still haven't responded, so I'm in a bindbecause they're due on Monday. I know its a really broad subject, but I think it could be an interesting article. The questions are below. If possible, could you put your name (it can be fake, we just need it for the magazine), and your relation to the subject (researcher, student, enthusiast, etc.). You don't need to answer all of the questions, or any of them. Thanks so much, this really helps.

1. In what ways can meta-materials change the world around us?
2. When do you think meta-materials will make the transition from labs to day to day life?
3. What industry do you think will benefit most from the development of meta-materials and why?
4. What does the average consumer need to know about meta-materials?
5. I know that meta-materials can be used to make light bend around objects causing them to appear invisible, do you think that invisible objects will ever be available to general consumers, why or why not?
6. At this point, is it very expensive to produce meta-materials? Could you see the cost dropping in the near future?
7. Who is taking more interest in meta-materials, the military (for the prospect of invisible equipment), or the tech industry (lightning fast computers with no heat)?
8. How do meta-materials work?
9. How much labor goes into the production of meta-materials, if it isn’t already, could the process be mechanized?
10. Once meta-materials graduate from labs into the real world, will the average person notice a difference in his life?

Ben

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. Negative refractive index metamaterials will enable so called "super lenses". Microscope quality can be greatly improved.

2. Soon I think. But it will be a gradual transisition.

3.The semi-conductor industy. nanophotonics could lead to photonic computers and metamaterials with custom inductance, resistance ect. will benefit solid state physics.

4. metamaterials are a great tribute to human engineering. How micro engineering can obviate the obstacles placed before us by mother nature.

5.That has only been accomplished for the microwave region of the EM spectrum. But I think that if invisibilty was made available to the average consumer it was cause too much trouble, imagine how easy murder would be?.

6.If they become mass-produced in the future then the cost will come down.

7.Both I would say. Meta-materials have applications in all fields.

8.Simply put they work by combining different materials to get new properties that would not normally be found in nature.

9. Well you need specialized equipment to make them. everything can be mechanized. Once the demand goes up it will justify the construction of the expensive factories.

10.I think so. faster data transmission for one, and secondly it will open up new research areas so who knows what that will bring?

Thank you so much! That really helps!

I always had the feeling that "meta-materials" is a a term invented by electro-engineers who don't really understand how optics works in the visible part of the spectrum and try to forcefully extend their experience with small electric and magnetic dipole antenna to the optical region.
In that region and on the relevant length scales you can use quantum effects to achieve the necessary non-local response.
It is well possible that materials with the desired optical properties can be fabricated much easier and cheaper using e.g. supramolecular chemistry.
That's not only my point of view but was already propagated e.g. by Feynman in his lectures.

With acoustic metamaterials, you can do experiments with structures big enough to make with hand tools, working with frequencies you can hear, or observe visually as water waves.

http://www.physics.fudan.edu.cn/tps/people/jzi/research/contents/materials/Physics%20Worl%20DEC05%20thomas%20sonic%20crystals.pdf

Doing some projects is more fun than writing a magazine article, IMO :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What kind of help do you need as a freshman?

As a freshman, you may need help with adjusting to college life, navigating campus resources, understanding course material, and time management. It's natural to feel overwhelmed at first, but there are many resources available to support you.

2. How can I make the most out of my freshman year?

To make the most out of your freshman year, it's important to get involved on campus, whether it's joining a club or organization, attending events, or participating in study groups. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and take advantage of academic support services.

3. What should I do if I'm struggling with a particular subject?

If you're struggling with a particular subject, reach out to your professor or TA for clarification and additional resources. You can also visit tutoring centers or form study groups with classmates. It's important to address any difficulties early on to prevent falling behind.

4. How can I manage my time effectively as a freshman?

Managing your time effectively as a freshman is crucial for success. Make use of a planner or calendar to keep track of deadlines and prioritize tasks. Also, try to avoid procrastination and break up larger assignments into smaller, more manageable chunks.

5. What advice do you have for a freshman starting college?

My advice for a freshman starting college is to stay organized, get involved, and don't be afraid to ask for help. It's also important to take care of your physical and mental well-being, and to remember that it's okay to make mistakes and learn from them. Enjoy this new chapter of your life and make the most out of it!