Doubt in mass suspended by spring

In summary, for a mass M suspended by a weightless spring and subjected to a force, it will undergo simple harmonic motion. For a small displacement according to Hooke's law, the force applied on the mass is equal to the force applied. Newton's 3rd law can be applied in this scenario, where the reaction force on the person applying the force will be equal to the force applied on the mass, as long as the force is applied slowly without generating kinetic energy in the mass.
manimaran1605
Consider a mass M, suspended by a weightless spring (horizontally or vertically). If I apply a force on the mass M, it executes simple harmonic motion. My question is for small displacement (that is pushed or pulled) according to Hooke's law F=-kx, it is equal to force we applied right?
F=Ma=-kx, Can i apply Newton's 3rd law here? if yes explain? (But According to Newton's third law, action and reaction happens in different bodies right?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
manimaran1605 said:
Consider a mass M, suspended by a weightless spring (horizontally or vertically). If I apply a force on the mass M, it executes simple harmonic motion. My question is for small displacement (that is pushed or pulled) according to Hooke's law F=-kx, it is equal to force we applied right?
What is equal to the force?

F=Ma=-kx, Can i apply Newton's 3rd law here? if yes explain? (But According to Newton's third law, action and reaction happens in different bodies right?)
Newton's 3rd law is applicable in every inertial frame.
If you are speaking of the reaction acting on you after you apply the force on the block, then the force acting on you will be equal to that of kx provided you exert the force slowly, i.e, without generating a kinetic energy in the block.

What is the concept of doubt in mass suspended by spring?

The concept of doubt in mass suspended by spring is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a mass is attached to a spring and then suspended in the air. Due to the force of gravity, the mass will pull down on the spring, causing it to stretch. However, the spring will also exert an equal and opposite force on the mass, keeping it suspended in a state of equilibrium.

How does the spring constant affect doubt in mass suspended by spring?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness of the spring, plays a crucial role in determining the amount of doubt in a mass suspended by spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer, and therefore, will exert a greater force on the mass, leading to less doubt. On the other hand, a lower spring constant will result in a less stiff spring and more doubt in the suspended mass.

What factors can affect the amount of doubt in mass suspended by spring?

Besides the spring constant, other factors that can affect the amount of doubt in a mass suspended by spring include the mass of the object, the length of the spring, and the force of gravity. A heavier mass, longer spring, or stronger gravitational force will all contribute to more doubt in the suspended mass.

What is the equation for calculating doubt in mass suspended by spring?

The equation for calculating doubt in mass suspended by spring is: F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the amount of stretch or compression of the spring. This equation is known as Hooke's Law and helps to determine the amount of doubt in a spring-mass system.

What are some real-life applications of doubt in mass suspended by spring?

Doubt in mass suspended by spring has various real-life applications, including in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, such as cars and bicycles. It is also used in the construction of buildings and bridges to ensure they can withstand the forces of nature. Additionally, doubt in mass suspended by spring is essential in measuring weight, as it is the basis for scales and other weighing devices.