Differential Equations: Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed. Reliable & Readable

In summary, "Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems (3rd) by Edwards and Penney (UGA) is a highly recommended textbook due to its clear explanations of theorems and examples. It also includes information on using programs like Maple and Excel for solving differential equations. Other recommended books for this subject include Boyce, DiPrima, Zill, and Kreider."
Sting
Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems (3rd)
by Edwards and Penney (UGA)

It's the textbook I'm using for my course this semester and it's really readable textbook. I've had problems with other math books but this book is clear in its explanations of theorems and examples.

It adds explanations on how to use programs such as Maple and Excel to approximate or solve differential equations and the subject matters ranges from introductory differential equations to LaPlace Transforms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone else know of any good books for Diffy Q? I might end taking a course over summer on this matter... Just like to know things I can work with.

Boyce, DiPrima
Zill
Kreider

those are fine books

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. They involve an unknown function and its derivatives, and are often used to model real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What makes Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed. a reliable textbook for differential equations?

Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed. is a reliable textbook because it is written by two well-respected mathematicians with extensive teaching experience. It also includes numerous examples and exercises, as well as clear explanations and step-by-step solutions to problems.

3. Is Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed. a readable textbook for beginners?

Yes, Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed. is considered to be a readable textbook for beginners. It is designed to be easily understandable for students who are new to differential equations, and it uses a gradual approach to introduce new concepts and techniques.

4. Can I use Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed. as a self-study resource?

Yes, Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed. can be used as a self-study resource. It includes clear explanations, examples, and exercises, making it a valuable tool for students studying differential equations on their own.

5. How can I access reliable solutions to the exercises in Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed.?

Solutions to selected exercises in Edwards & Penney UGA 3rd Ed. are available in the accompanying Student Solutions Manual. This can be purchased separately or accessed online through the publisher's website. Alternatively, solutions may also be available through your instructor or in online forums and study groups.