Vector Calc: Finding A Path c(t) to Represent a Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a path, c(t), to represent the set of all (x,y) that satisfy the equation 4x^2 + y^2 = 1. The equation represents an ellipse with width 1/4 and height 1. The speaker suggests parametrizing a circle and adjusting it to be 1/4 as wide in the x direction as a potential solution. They also mention that a path is a function or map over an interval with the desired function as its image.
Black Orpheus
I need to find the path, c(t), to represent the set of all (x,y) such that 4x^2 + y^2 = 1. This seems like such a simple question but I don't know where to begin (I know that a path is a function or map over an interval whose image is the function I have). Can anyone offer some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you should be able to recognize that as the equation of an ellipse with width 1/4 and height 1. From that you can just write down c(t). You know how to parametrize a circle, right? What would you do to that parametrization so that the curve is 1/4 as wide in the x direction?

Last edited:

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. It is used to describe the behavior of physical phenomena, such as flow of fluids or electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is a path represented in vector calculus?

A path, or curve, in vector calculus is represented by a function c(t) that maps a parameter t to a point in space. This function c(t) is also called a parametric curve.

3. How is a path different from a curve?

In vector calculus, a path and a curve refer to the same concept. However, a path is typically used to describe a specific function c(t), while a curve can refer to the general concept of a continuous line in space.

4. How is a path parameterized?

A path is parameterized by choosing a function c(t) that maps a parameter t to a point in space. This parameterization allows us to describe the path in terms of the variable t, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of the path.

5. How do you use vector calculus to find a path c(t) for a given curve?

To find a path c(t) that represents a given curve, you can use the process of integration. First, you need to find the vector field that best describes the behavior of the curve. Then, you can integrate this vector field to obtain the function c(t) that represents the path of the curve.