Sine Wave: Definition, Examples & Graphs

In summary, a sine wave is a mathematical function that describes a smooth, repetitive oscillation and is often used to model natural phenomena. It is defined as y = A sin (ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase shift. Some examples of sine waves include electrical signals, sound waves, and light waves. Visually, a sine wave is represented as a smooth, repetitive curve with time on the horizontal axis and amplitude on the vertical axis. The properties of a sine wave include amplitude, frequency, wavelength, and phase shift.
Julian Solos
av-309.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe a mexican sine wave...

I sometimes see this on my dashboard, but have always just considered it a "sine of dementia"!

Originally posted by LURCH
I sometimes see this on my dashboard, but have always just considered it a "sine of dementia"!

.........thats not a good thing...shouldnt your eyes be on the road?

If somebody's eyes are on the road, they should not be driving. It's bad enough that they can't see, but running over your own eyeballs would be just too much irony.

Njorl

tch there is always one isn't there? U know what i meant.

1. What is a sine wave?

A sine wave is a type of mathematical function that describes a smooth, repetitive oscillation. It is often used to model natural phenomena such as sound waves, light waves, and electrical signals.

2. How is a sine wave defined?

A sine wave is defined as a function of time that can be written as y = A sin (ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase shift.

3. What are some examples of sine waves?

Some common examples of sine waves include alternating current (AC) electrical signals, sound waves from musical instruments, and light waves from the sun.

4. How is a sine wave graphically represented?

A sine wave can be graphically represented as a smooth, repetitive curve that oscillates between positive and negative values. The horizontal axis represents time, while the vertical axis represents the amplitude of the wave.

5. What are the properties of a sine wave?

The properties of a sine wave include amplitude, frequency, wavelength, and phase shift. Amplitude is the maximum height of the wave, frequency is the number of cycles per unit of time, wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs, and phase shift is the horizontal displacement of the wave.