Solve Coordinate Geometry Problem: Find Line Equation

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation is about finding the symmetric and parametric equation of a line passing through a given point and parallel to a given vector. The equation provided seems to be a plane rather than a line, and there is confusion about how to relate the line to the parallel vector. The solution is to write the equation in parametric form, with x, y, and z as functions of t, using a point on the line and the vector parallel to it.
Reshma
I think my coordinate geometry skills have turned rather rusty. :frown:
Just help me out with this problem.

Find the symmetric and parametric equation of a line passing through (3, 4, -1) and parallel to 2i - 3j + 6k.

Here is my attempt at this:

Since the line passes through (3,4,-1) the equation would be given by:
(x - 3) + (y - 4) + (z +1) = 0

But, this looks like the equation of a plane :bugeye: . I am all confused now. How do I relate this line to the vector parallel to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's the equation of the plane through (3, 4, -1) and perpendicular to 2i- 3j+ 6k. You can't write a line in 3 dimensions in just one equation. Write it in parametric equations:
x= x0+ at, y= y0+ bt, z= z0+ ct where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the line and ai+ bj+ ck is a vector in the direction of the line.

Hello there! Don't worry, I can help you with this coordinate geometry problem. First, let's review some basics. A line in 3-dimensional space can be represented by the general equation:
(x - x1)/a = (y - y1)/b = (z - z1)/c
where (x1, y1, z1) is a point on the line and (a, b, c) is a direction vector parallel to the line. In your problem, the given vector 2i - 3j + 6k is already in the form of (a, b, c). So, we can use it to find the line equation.

To find the symmetric equation, we can simply plug in the given point (3, 4, -1) and the direction vector (2, -3, 6) in the general equation. This will give us:
(x - 3)/2 = (y - 4)/-3 = (z + 1)/6

To find the parametric equation, we can use the following formula:
x = x1 + at
y = y1 + bt
z = z1 + ct
where t is a parameter. Again, plugging in the given point and direction vector, we get:
x = 3 + 2t
y = 4 - 3t
z = -1 + 6t

So, the symmetric equation of the line is (x - 3)/2 = (y - 4)/-3 = (z + 1)/6 and the parametric equation is x = 3 + 2t, y = 4 - 3t, z = -1 + 6t. I hope this helps you understand and solve the problem. Keep practicing and your coordinate geometry skills will be back in no time!

1. What is coordinate geometry?

Coordinate geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometrical figures using coordinates. It involves the use of algebraic equations to describe and analyze geometric shapes and their properties.

2. How do I find the equation of a line using coordinate geometry?

To find the equation of a line using coordinate geometry, you will need to know the coordinates of two points on the line. Then, you can use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, to write the equation of the line in the form y = mx + b.

3. What is the slope-intercept form of a line?

The slope-intercept form of a line is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This form is commonly used to represent the equation of a line because it makes it easy to determine the slope and y-intercept of the line.

4. How do I find the slope of a line using coordinate geometry?

The slope of a line can be found using the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of two points on the line. This formula is also known as the rise over run method, as it represents the change in y over the change in x.

5. Can I find the equation of a line if I only know its slope and a point on the line?

Yes, you can find the equation of a line if you know its slope and a point on the line. This can be done using the point-slope form of a line, which is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope and (x1, y1) is the given point. From this form, you can rearrange the equation to get it in the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b.