Work done in an Isobaric expansion

In summary: Since du=0 and dw=0, then dQ=0. No heat is transferred in an isothermal process.In summary, a 4.20g of nitrogen gas at 22.0 C and an initial pressure of 2.30 atm undergoes an isobaric expansion until the volume has tripled. The amount of heat energy transferred to the gas to cause this expansion is n*C_v*dt + p*dv. The gas then undergoes an isochoric compression back to its original temperature and the gas pressure decreases to 1/3 of its initial value. No heat energy is transferred during this isothermal process.
iceman_ch

Homework Statement

4.20g of nitrogen gas at 22.0 C and an initial pressure of 2.30 atm undergo an isobaric expansion until the volume has tripled.

A.)How much heat energy is transferred to the gas to cause this expansion?

b.)The gas pressure is then decreased at constant volume until the original temperature is reached. What is the gas pressure after the decrease?

c.)What amount of heat energy is transferred from the gas as its pressure decreases?

Homework Equations

Pv=nRT

W=-p(delta V)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so here is all of the steps that I take. I know it seems like I do more then I need to but I get all of the information I can in these problems so that I can memorize the ways to do it so here goes.

First the infromation that I have is

M = .0042kg
R=8.31
Ti = 295K (22+273)
Pi= 2.3 atm = (101325 * 2.3) = 233047.5
An= 14u = (14 * 1.661 x 10^-27) = 2.33 x 10^-26 Kg
M/kg = 2.33 x 10^-26 * 6.02 x 10^23 = .014 Kg
n= .3 mol
Vi= (.3 * 8.31 * 295)/233047.5 = .00315 m^3
Vf= .00315 * 3 = .00947

This is where I'm having a hard time. The equation I have tried using is

W=-p(delta V)

-233047.5 * (.00315 - .00947) = 1472.86 (this answer is wrong)

So what am I doing wrong?

So here is some more work that I have doen.

W=nR(deltaT) = 590.79
Tf= 590.79 + 22 = 612 C = 612 +273 = 885 K (That seems a little hot I'm pretty sure its not right but I can' get any other answer.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
=iceman_ch;1310103
First the infromation that I have is

M = .0042kg
R=8.31
Ti = 295K (22+273)
Pi= 2.3 atm = (101325 * 2.3) = 233047.5
An= 14u = (14 * 1.661 x 10^-27) = 2.33 x 10^-26 Kg
M/kg = 2.33 x 10^-26 * 6.02 x 10^23 = .014 Kg
n= .3 mol

Vi= (.3 * 8.31 * 295)/233047.5 = .00315 m^3
Vf= .00315 * 3 = .00947

There is a MUCH easier way to convert mass into moles!
#moles = mass of substance / atomic weight of molecule
Your n value is wrong. Remember that there are TWO nitrogen atoms in a molecule of nitrogen gas.

Last edited:
ok then that would make my n

n= .15 mol
Vi= .00158 m^3
Vf= .00474 m^3
W= 736.43 (which is also a wrong answer.)
I used W=-p(Vi-Vf)

I am sorry I can't really follow the work. Please include the units.

I would approach this problem this way...

First of all, I would sketch a P-V diagram. It starts at some pressure and volume and then undergoes an isobaric expansion tripling its side. With p on your vertical axis and v on horizontal axis on the diagram, draw the a horizontal line a across. If PV=nRT and p is constant P(3V)=nR(3T) right?
Knowing this, we know that if volume (3v) is constant the temperature drops back to T, P must drop to 1/3 P. Draw a vertical line down. The temperature is the same as the beginning so it will under an isothermal compression back to the original point.

Are you familiar with the first law of thermodynamic. du=dQ-dw where du=nC_p*dt and dw=n*C_v*dt? You are right that dw = p*dv

a)

the nitrogen undergoes an isobaric expansion to three times its original volume. nC_p*dt = n*C_v*dt - p*dv. then dq=n*C_v*dt = nC_p*dt+p*dv

b) We know that the compression is isochoric, meaning volume is not changed. Work is area under the curve so it is zero. du=dQ = n*C_v*dt

c) This is the isothermal compression. Again, use du= dQ-dw.

1. What is work done in an Isobaric expansion?

The work done in an Isobaric expansion is the energy transferred to the surroundings in the form of work when a gas expands at a constant pressure. It is a measure of the change in volume of the gas and the external pressure acting on it.

2. How is work calculated in an Isobaric expansion?

The work done in an Isobaric expansion can be calculated by multiplying the external pressure by the change in volume of the gas. This can be represented by the equation W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.

3. What is the significance of Isobaric expansion in thermodynamics?

Isobaric expansion is important in thermodynamics because it allows for the study of how gases behave under constant pressure. It also helps in understanding the relationship between work, pressure, and volume in a system.

4. What are some real-life examples of Isobaric expansion?

Some examples of Isobaric expansion in everyday life include the expansion of air in a bicycle pump, the expansion of the gas in a car engine, and the expansion of air in a balloon when it is heated.

5. How does temperature affect work done in an Isobaric expansion?

In an Isobaric expansion, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the volume of the gas, which in turn will result in an increase in the work done. Similarly, a decrease in temperature will result in a decrease in the work done.