Adding bytes with 4-bit full adders

• Thread starter Duellist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bytes
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of adding two bytes and displaying the result on 7-segment displays using ICs 74283 and 7447. The participants consider using two 4-bit full adders to create an 8-bit full adder, as well as using a binary-to-BCD decoder and a BCD-to-7 segment decoder. They also mention the possibility of using a decoder to convert 4-bit inputs to hex decimal outputs.
Duellist
hi guys...my question is kinda weird..

i want to add 1 byte to another 1 byte and get the result on 7-segments :grumpy:
i have to use the ICs 74283 (4- bit full adder)... and i no how to connect them to add 1byte + 1 byte

but i am still lost on how to get the output on 7segments !

would i have to make a truth table to each input to the three 7segments in parallel
but that would take me for ever..
i am just kinda lost :S
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll need to use two 4-bit full adders to make an 8-bit full-adder, connecting their carry bits as necessary.

To create a 7-segment decoder, create a truth table and use a Karnaugh map to reduce it into simple gates. Chips already exist which perform this decoding, if you're allowed to use them.

- Warren

re

i am already passed through the two 4-full adder IC
and the doctor just left it up to us the whole project...

but chroot this way i think i am going to use three 7 segments...coz if the input is (11111111) on each input the out put would be 254 in binary...

so am i going to make truth table for 254 output??

thanks
hussein

Last edited:
Was your project to do BCD (binary to decimal conversion)?
In which case you would need three 7 segments.

With a little creativity you can show standard hex notation on a 7 segment display.

my project was to add 2bytes using 4-full bit adder and have the output on 7-segments...

and for the Hex decimal.. i thought of that but i found that i would also need 3 7 segment...
but it doesn't matter
it can go either way

Duellist said:
my project was to add 2bytes using 4-full bit adder and have the output on 7-segments...
Ya, that's exactly what our professor said (I'm Duellist's class-mate, and partner in this project :rolleyes: )

I'm just so confused as to what we have to do in this project.. Ok, I know the part where we have to use two 4-bit full adders in order to add the bytes together, but how will we connect the 7-segment displays? Check this picture out:

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/15565/2000964573213556460_rs.jpg

The question is "where do the outputs go in order to display it on 7-segment display(s)" =D ... Btw chroot (or Warren), we do use the decoders, the 7447's...

Thanks..

Last edited:
Well, the 7447 is a BCD-to-seven-segment decoder, so you'll first need to convert your sum from binary to BCD. BCD decoders are very simple, so you should be able to design them from discrete gates pretty easily. Since you're allowed to use the BCD-to-seven-segment decoder, perhaps you're allowed to use existing binary-to-BCD chips, too?

- Warren

ya i think we are allowed some kind of the decoders chips...

but wat do u have in mind?

hussein

I never knew there were binary-to-BCD decoders, lol... Ok, so now i get it...

Outputs from the two 4-bit full adders >into> binary-to-BCD decoder >into> BCD-to-7 segment decoder...

hi its me again
let me ask u sth
is there's any kind of decoder that would get 4-bit and would convert them to hex decimal...
it would actually help...
i mean take the binary 1001 and say 9 and when it has 1111 it present F
that would make everything actually helpful

-hussein

It's possible to display A,b,C,d,E,F on a 7 seg.
I recall some 7447 (or equivalent) chips did just that for the hex A-F bit patterns.
Depended on the manufacture.
You would need to examine datasheets.

1. What is a 4-bit full adder?

A 4-bit full adder is a digital circuit that is used to perform the addition of two 4-bit binary numbers. It consists of four inputs, two for each of the numbers being added, and three outputs: sum, carry, and overflow.

2. How does a 4-bit full adder work?

A 4-bit full adder works by taking two 4-bit binary numbers as input, along with a carry bit. It then adds the two numbers together, along with the carry, using a series of logic gates. The resulting sum is output on the sum line, and any carry or overflow is output on their respective lines.

3. Why is it necessary to use a 4-bit full adder instead of a simpler circuit?

A 4-bit full adder is necessary because it allows us to perform addition of 4-bit binary numbers, which are commonly used in computer systems. It also takes into account the carry and overflow, which are important for accurate calculations.

4. What are some applications of adding bytes with 4-bit full adders?

Some applications of adding bytes with 4-bit full adders include performing arithmetic operations in computer systems, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. They are also used in digital signal processing, data encryption, and error detection and correction.

5. Can a 4-bit full adder be used to add numbers with more than 4 bits?

Yes, a 4-bit full adder can be cascaded to add numbers with more than 4 bits. By connecting the carry output of one adder to the carry input of the next adder, multiple adders can be linked together to perform addition of larger numbers. This is known as a ripple carry adder.