Thin-Film Interference Question. Quick One

• Thread starter cheechnchong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interference
In summary: But for each? hmmmJust answer the question: Light that reflects off the top of the air/gasoline surface gets a phase change of how much? What about the light that reflects from the gasoline/glass surface?In summary, the film of gasoline appears bright yellow due to constructive interference because the refractive index of gasoline is 1.40. To find the thickness of the film needed to achieve this effect, you use the equation t = 1/4*(414 nm) and get 104 nm.
cheechnchong

Homework Statement

A film of gasoline (n= 1.40) floats on glass (n = 1.52). Yellow light (wavelength = 580 nm in vacuum) shines perpendicularly on the film. Determine the minimum nonzero thickness of the film, such that the film appears bright yellow due to constructive inteference

Homework Equations

2t + 1/2*wavelength(film) = wavelength(film)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the constructive interference equation is setup like 2t + 1/2*wavelength(film) = wavelenght(film). However, I am having difficulty determining which n value i should use to get the wavelenghth of the film.

I know this can be an easy problem for some people so i appreciate all the help i can get. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the film is made of gasoline you obviously have to use the refractive index of gasoline.

ok...does this look correct??

t = 1/4*wavelength(film)

t is for thickness

I get the wavelength(film) by dividing 580 nm by 1.40 (refractive index of gasoline). THIS IS WHERE MY QUESTION LIES...which n-value should I use? 1.40 or 1.52 or both? arrrgh! :smile:

ok by dividing 580 nm/1.40 i get 440 nm. Then, i plug into thickness equation t = 1/4*(414 nm) and get 104 nm as the answer.

cheechnchong said:
ok...does this look correct??

t = 1/4*wavelength(film)

t is for thickness
This equation does not apply here. Figure out your own equation for the thickness needed to get constructive interference. Hint: What is the phase change upon reflection at each interface? What's the additional path length of the wave reflected from the bottom of the film?

I get the wavelength(film) by dividing 580 nm by 1.40 (refractive index of gasoline). THIS IS WHERE MY QUESTION LIES...which n-value should I use? 1.40 or 1.52 or both? arrrgh! :smile:
The film is gasoline--so use the index of refraction of gasoline.

ok by dividing 580 nm/1.40 i get 440 nm.
Redo that calculation (probably just a typo, since you have the correct value below).
Then, i plug into thickness equation t = 1/4*(414 nm) and get 104 nm as the answer.
That 1/4 wavelength equation is for destructive interference.

ok so should the equation look like this: t = 1/2*wavelength(film) since the extra path traveled is just t?

t = 414 nm/2 = 207 nm

cheechnchong said:
ok so should the equation look like this: t = 1/2*wavelength(film) since the extra path traveled is just t?
The extra path traveled is 2t. But that extra path must equal one wavelength. So your answer is correct anyway (but you'd better understand why).

t = 414 nm/2 = 207 nm
Sounds good.

Doc Al said:
The extra path traveled is 2t. But that extra path must equal one wavelength. So your answer is correct anyway (but you'd better understand why).

Sounds good.

Ok so...what about the phase change? do you avoid that?

You tell me. What's the phase change at each interface?

Doc Al said:
You tell me. What's the phase change at each interface?

is it 0 in this case? b/c that sort of sounds like something in destructive interference.

otherwise it would be 1/2*wavelength(film) since half of the wavelength is shifted??

but for each? hmmm

Last edited:
Just answer the question: Light that reflects off the top of the air/gasoline surface gets a phase change of how much? What about the light that reflects from the gasoline/glass surface?

What does the phase change depend on?

Doc Al said:
Just answer the question: Light that reflects off the top of the air/gasoline surface gets a phase change of how much? What about the light that reflects from the gasoline/glass surface?

What does the phase change depend on?

ah that's a clearer picture to me.

1st question: 1/2 phase shift
2nd question: nothing - dark fringe?

phase change depends on the amount of light? true?

cheechnchong said:
1st question: 1/2 phase shift
This is correct: light reflecting from the air/gasoline interface gets a 180 degree phase change. Why?
2nd question: nothing - dark fringe?
Why nothing? What's different about the gasoline/glass interface compared to the air/gasoline interface?

Any talk of fringes requires comparing two reflections, not just one interface.

phase change depends on the amount of light?
Nope. :wink: (This should be in your text. Look up the derivation of one of the thin film interference formulas.)

nevermind. i have no idea what I am talking about...btw, you asked why on the first qustion. it's because the incident hits the surface at almost a perpendicular distance (im assuming), which is 180 degrees (or straight down)

so the phase change is 2 due to 2 of the wavelengths?

Last edited:
cheechnchong said:
...btw, you asked why on the first qustion. it's because the incident hits the surface at almost a perpendicular distance (im assuming), which is 180 degrees (or straight down)
That's part of the answer, but not the part that I'm going for. Assuming normal incidence, how can you tell if you get a phase change upon reflection or not?

Hint: In some cases, the phase change is zero (no phase change); in other cases, it's 180 degrees (half a wavelength). What's the governing rule that tells you which applies?

Doc Al said:
That's part of the answer, but not the part that I'm going for. Assuming normal incidence, how can you tell if you get a phase change upon reflection or not?

Hint: In some cases, the phase change is zero (no phase change); in other cases, it's 180 degrees (half a wavelength). What's the governing rule that tells you which applies?

ummm i don't know. the book I am using is very brief about this section. it basically derives the equations for you and tells you this is the only way to solve a problem...obviously, that's not the case with this problem.

Phase change upon reflection

I suggest that you pick apart the derivation and see what it says about the phase change upon reflection. Whether or not you have a phase change upon reflection depends upon the relative indices of refraction of the two media at the boundary. Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/interf.html#c2"

And while you're at it, you can read more about thin films here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/thinfilm.html#c1"

(FYI: In my opinion, hyperphysics (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hph.html) is a reliable reference for basic physics; I suggest browsing through it to augment your assigned text.)

Last edited by a moderator:
A phase shift occurs when light enters a more optically dense material (greater index of refraction). Youve got 2 boundaries for consideration, the air-gas boundary and the gas-glass boundary. A phase shift occurs at both boundaries, so in order to constructively interfere, the extra distance must be a full wavelength.

If the glass was replaced with another layer of air, your equations would apply. But with problems like this, its best to think about the problem and not rely on formulas that only work sometimes

1. What is thin-film interference?

Thin-film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves are reflected and interfere with each other due to a difference in the thickness of a thin film. This results in the appearance of colored patterns or iridescence.

2. How does thin-film interference occur?

Thin-film interference occurs when light waves reflect off of the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film. If the difference in the distance traveled by the reflected waves is equal to a multiple of the wavelength of light, constructive interference occurs and bright colors are observed. If the difference is equal to half of a wavelength, destructive interference occurs and dark colors are observed.

3. What are some applications of thin-film interference?

Thin-film interference is used in various industries and technologies, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, the production of colorful soap bubbles, and in optical devices such as thin-film filters and interference mirrors.

4. How is the color of a thin film determined by interference?

The color of a thin film is determined by the thickness of the film and the wavelength of light. When light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of the film, they interfere with each other. Depending on the thickness of the film, certain wavelengths of light will be amplified, resulting in the perception of a particular color.

5. What is the difference between thin-film interference and Newton's rings?

Thin-film interference and Newton's rings are both phenomena that occur due to the interference of light waves. However, Newton's rings occur when light is reflected between a curved surface and a flat surface, while thin-film interference occurs between two flat surfaces. Additionally, Newton's rings produce circular interference patterns, while thin-film interference can produce various patterns depending on the thickness and material of the film.