Mechanics Physics: Pulley w/ 2 Blocks - Determine T, T3, Tl, I1

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulley system with two blocks attached to a light cord. The tension in the cord is determined using the radius, rotational inertia, and fundamental constants. In part (b), one block is removed and the acceleration of the remaining blocks is given. The tensions in the cord supporting the blocks and the rotational inertia of the pulley are also determined. The poster is reminded to show their attempt at solving the problem and to post future homework questions in the Homework Forum.
princess_7777
A pulley of radius R1 and rotational inertia I1 is mounted on an axle with negligible friction. A light cord passing over the pulley has two blocks of mass m attached to either end, as shown above. Assume that the cord does not slip on the pulley. Determine the answers to parts (a) and (b) in terms of m, R1, I1, and fundamental constants.
a. Determine the tension T in the cord.
b. One block is now removed from the right and hung on the left. When the system is released from rest, the three blocks on the left accelerate downward with an acceleration g/3 . Determine the following.
i. The tension T3 in the section of cord supporting the three blocks on the left
ii. The tension Tl in the section of cord supporting the single block on the right
iii. The rotational inertia I1 of the pulley

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Physics Forums.

You need to show an attempt at solving the problem before we can help you. What approach might you take? What equations might be useful? Tell us what you are having trouble with.

There is a Homework Forum where homework questions should be posted (for future reference).

a. To determine the tension T in the cord, we can use the equation for Newton's second law, F = ma. In this case, the force acting on the blocks is the tension in the cord, and the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity, g. Therefore, T = mg, where m is the mass of each block.

b. When one block is removed from the right and hung on the left, the system becomes unbalanced and the blocks on the left will accelerate downwards. To determine the tensions in the cord, we can use the equations for Newton's second law again. The total force acting on the blocks on the left is the sum of the tensions in the cord, T3 and Tl, and the mass of the blocks, 3m (since there are now three blocks). Therefore, T3 + Tl = 3mg/3 = mg. We also know that the tension in the cord supporting the single block on the right is equal to the weight of that block, which is mg. So, Tl = mg.

To determine the rotational inertia of the pulley, we can use the equation for the rotational equivalent of Newton's second law, τ = Iα. In this case, the torque acting on the pulley is the tension in the cord, T, multiplied by the radius of the pulley, R1. The acceleration is the angular acceleration, α, which is related to the linear acceleration of the blocks, a, by α = a/R1. Therefore, T*R1 = I*(a/R1). Rearranging this equation, we get I = T*R1*a. We know the values of T and a from part (a), so we can calculate I in terms of m, R1, and fundamental constants.

1. What is the purpose of using a pulley in mechanics physics?

A pulley is used in mechanics physics to change the direction of a force and to distribute the weight of an object. It also allows for the application of smaller forces over longer distances, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How do you determine the tension (T) in a pulley system with two blocks?

To determine the tension (T) in a pulley system with two blocks, you can use the equation T = (m1+m2)g/2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two blocks and g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8m/s^2).

3. What is the role of T3 in a pulley system with two blocks?

T3 is the tension in the string connecting the two blocks in a pulley system. It is equal to the tension in the string on the other side of the pulley (T) and helps to balance the weight of the two blocks.

4. How do you calculate Tl in a pulley system with two blocks?

To calculate Tl in a pulley system with two blocks, you can use the equation Tl = T - T3, where T is the tension in the string on one side of the pulley and T3 is the tension in the string connecting the two blocks.

5. What is the moment of inertia (I1) in a pulley system with two blocks?

The moment of inertia (I1) in a pulley system with two blocks refers to the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion. It can be calculated using the equation I1 = (1/2)m1r^2, where m1 is the mass of the block and r is the radius of the pulley.