Good way to repel spiders anyone?

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Repel
In summary, the conversation discusses the fear of spiders and a request for a safe way to repel them. The person mentions killing a large spider in their basement and their unfinished roof that creates a perfect hiding spot for them. They also mention having a cat and a suggestion for using pepper, similar to how it repels ants, to keep spiders away. Another person jokingly suggests hugging the spiders, as they hate that.
moe darklight
aghhh I just killed a HUGE red spider in my basement. The roof in my basement is not done and it's filled with dark spots where they can hide... brrrr. god I hate spiders.

anyone know of a safe way to repel spiders? I have a cat so it can't be poison (especially since he tends to put bugs in his mouth... he never actually kills them though, just plays with them and let's them go :uhh: part of his catch and release program I guess)

Like, I know pepper repels ants from entering your house... is there anything like that for spiders? like a smell the don't like or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try giving it a hug. They hate that.

I understand your concern about finding a safe way to repel spiders, especially with a pet in the house. While there is no definitive evidence to support the use of specific scents or ingredients to repel spiders, there are some natural remedies that may be worth trying. Some people claim that essential oils such as peppermint, tea tree, or eucalyptus can act as a deterrent for spiders. However, it is important to note that these essential oils can be toxic to cats, so it is important to keep them out of reach from your pet. Another option is to use a mixture of vinegar and water as a spray around your basement to create a scent barrier that spiders may not like. Additionally, keeping your basement clean and clutter-free can also help reduce the potential hiding spots for spiders. Ultimately, the best way to prevent spiders from entering your home is to seal any cracks or openings in your basement and to address any moisture issues that may be attracting them. If you continue to have a problem with spiders, it may be beneficial to consult with a professional pest control service for further assistance.

1. How can I repel spiders without using harmful chemicals?

There are several natural methods for repelling spiders that do not involve using harmful chemicals. Some options include using essential oils like peppermint or citrus, placing chestnuts or eucalyptus leaves around your home, or using vinegar and water to create a spider-repelling spray.

2. Will using a spider repellent actually work?

While there is no guarantee that a spider repellent will work for every type of spider, many people have had success with natural repellents. It is important to note that the effectiveness may vary depending on the type of spider and the severity of the infestation.

3. Are there any home remedies for repelling spiders?

Yes, there are several home remedies that are said to repel spiders. Some popular options include using a mixture of water and white vinegar, placing citrus peels around your home, and using a combination of essential oils like peppermint, tea tree, and lavender.

4. Is it safe to use spider repellents around children and pets?

Natural spider repellents are generally considered safe for children and pets, but it is always best to exercise caution. Some essential oils can be harmful to pets, so it is important to research the ingredients before using a repellent in your home.

5. How do I know if a spider repellent is working?

If you are using a natural repellent, you may notice a decrease in the number of spiders in your home over time. However, it is important to also take preventative measures like sealing cracks and crevices and keeping your home clean to ensure long-term effectiveness.