Uncertainty/errors in meter stick measurements

In summary, the person is asking if they need to add all three uncertainties together to get a total uncertainty or if they can just use the uncertainty in the graph. The person is also asking about a gradient and has never done anything like this before.
_Greg_
Hi

just got a couple of question about errors in measurements.

I have a table of results of different meter stick measurements which are accurate to 0.1 cm.
Now a meter stick reads to 0.1 cm and the uncertainty is usually 20% of the smallest reading.
so all of my readings should be +/- 0.02 cm

(1) Now I am wondering, say i have 3 results, do i have to add all 3 uncertainties to give a total uncertainty of 0.06?
or do you not add the uncertainties since they are all the same, therefor a total uncertainty of 0.02?

Iv also made a graph with these values and calculated the uncertainty in that using:

G/deltaG = 2 x delta Y / y2 - y1

(2) so i have an uncertainty in the graph and i assume i have to add that to my uncertainty of measurements to get the total uncertainty?

thanks for reading

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
u never add uncertainities, it is specific to the apparatus u use and is does not change

if you want to indicate an uncertainity in your graph, draw two best fit lines istead of one, then give a range of values

In fact i think it just asks for the uncertainty in my graph.

The way iv been taught to calculate the uncertainty in gradients is with the equation above where delta Y is the near vertical separation of the points from the line.
so basically you measure the distance each point is from the line of best fit, add them up and divide it by the total number of points. then use that in the equation.
so deltaG/G is the fractional uncertainty in the gradient which can then be multiplied by 100 to give the percentage error.

have you come across this before esalihm?

btw, this gradient is 1/focal length, you may remember from my other topic yesterday.

Last edited:
I have never done anything about uncertainity like that, but I really don't think adding uncertainities is right.
because as I said it is specific to ur equipment.
and I don't understand what u mean by the uncertainity in your graph do you mean the R^2 value?

1. What is uncertainty in meter stick measurements?

Uncertainty in meter stick measurements refers to the potential error or variability in a measurement due to limitations in the measuring device or human error. It represents the range of possible values that the true measurement could fall within.

2. How is uncertainty calculated in meter stick measurements?

Uncertainty in meter stick measurements is typically calculated by taking half of the smallest division on the meter stick. For example, if the smallest division on the meter stick is 0.1 cm, the uncertainty would be 0.05 cm.

3. What factors can contribute to uncertainty in meter stick measurements?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in meter stick measurements, including the precision of the measuring device, the skill and consistency of the person making the measurement, and external factors such as environmental conditions.

4. How can uncertainty in meter stick measurements be reduced?

Uncertainty in meter stick measurements can be reduced by using a more precise measuring device, ensuring consistent and accurate technique when making measurements, and controlling for external factors that may affect the measurement.

5. Why is it important to consider uncertainty in meter stick measurements?

It is important to consider uncertainty in meter stick measurements because it provides a measure of the reliability and accuracy of the measurement. Without taking uncertainty into account, the measurement may be misleading and could lead to incorrect conclusions or decisions.