Finding Thrust from aircraft, need rolling friction

In summary, The Airbus A320 jetliner has a takeoff mass of 75,000 kg and reaches its takeoff speed of 82 m/s in 35 seconds. To find the Thrust of the engines, we can use the equation Fnet=mass*acceleration and solve for the friction force by subtracting it from the net force. Since we know the mass and acceleration, we can then use the formula Friction = u * normal force, where the normal force is equal to the weight of the plane. Finally, we can solve for the friction coefficient by dividing the friction force by the weight of the plane.
jheld

Homework Statement

An Airbus A320 jetliner has a takeoff mass of 75,000 kg. It reaches its takeoff speed of 82 m/s in 35s.
Find the Thrust of the engines, don't worry about air resistance, but rolling friction is substantial.

Homework Equations

Fnet=mass*acceleration
a=(82/35)
mass=75000
rolling_friction=mu*n (n=normal force) (mu=friction coefficient)
Fnetx=rolling_friction-thrust
Fnety=n-weight(m*g (gravity))
n=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I got as far as:
Thrust=mu(m*g)-m*a

I know that I need to solve for mu, but I can't seem to find a good way to further relate the equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember forces add. so
Force (thrust) = m * a + friction
You know m * a so you can separate out the friction force.
And since you know the mass you can get the co-efficeint.

I think this is a case where you are better putting in the numbers you know before re-arranging the equations, it should be obvious.

thanks for the help. though, I'm having trouble getting the friction coefficient by itself. i thought it was mu= F/mg, though I'm not sure if that's right.

Friction = u * normal force = u * weight = u * mg

1. What is thrust and why is it important in aircraft?

Thrust is the force generated by an aircraft's engines that propels it forward. It is important because it counteracts the forces of drag and weight, allowing the aircraft to maintain a steady speed and altitude.

2. How is thrust calculated for an aircraft?

Thrust is calculated by multiplying the engine's power output by its efficiency. This efficiency takes into account factors such as air temperature, pressure, and density, as well as the type and design of the engine.

3. How does rolling friction affect an aircraft's thrust?

Rolling friction, also known as rolling resistance, is the force that resists the movement of a wheel or other rotating object. In aircraft, it can affect thrust by creating drag on the wheels and tires, which can decrease the overall efficiency of the aircraft's movement.

4. How do you measure rolling friction in aircraft?

Rolling friction can be measured by conducting a rolling friction test, where the aircraft is placed on a dynamometer and its wheels are rotated at a constant speed while measuring the force required to keep them moving. This force can then be used to calculate the rolling friction coefficient for the particular aircraft.

5. How can rolling friction be reduced to increase thrust in aircraft?

Rolling friction can be reduced by using high-quality, low-rolling resistance tires, keeping them inflated to the appropriate pressure, and regularly maintaining and lubricating the aircraft's wheels and bearings. Additionally, reducing the weight of the aircraft can also decrease rolling friction and increase overall thrust.