Total charge through point on wire due to changing current on other wire

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a square loop with a side length of a and resistance R is placed a distance s from an infinite straight wire carrying current I. When the wire is cut, the induced current in the loop flows in the opposite direction and the total charge passing through a given point in the loop is determined. The equations used to solve this problem involve the magnetic flux and electromotive force. The solution key and the person discussing the problem have a slight disagreement on the limits of integration, with the person suggesting integrating from s to s+a while the solution key suggests integrating from a to 2a. There is a possibility that the problem statement may have a typo, as the person discussing the problem believes the square should be
dhqpwoe

Homework Statement

A square loop, side a, resistance R, lies a distance s from an infinite straight wire that carries current I. Now someone cuts the wire, so that I drops to zero. In what direction does the induced current in the square loop flow, and what total charge passes a given point in the loop during the time the current flows.

Homework Equations

Integral{B dot dl} = mu_0 * I => B=mu_0*I/(2*pi*r)

emf=-d(Integral{B dot dA})/dt
emf=I_induced*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I say that the flux is mu_0*I*a/(2pi)*Integral(dr/r) where r goes from s to s+a. The solution key agrees with me except for on the limits, which it says are a to 2a. I'm hoping that I am right for the problem as written and that the problem statement should have the square be a distance a (not s) from the wire... Does this sound right, or am I altogether wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the solution key wrong? (Should I be integrating from s to s+a?)

1) What is the formula for calculating the total charge through a point on a wire due to changing current on another wire?

The formula for calculating the total charge through a point on a wire due to changing current on another wire is Q = I*t, where Q is the total charge, I is the changing current, and t is the time.

2) How does changing current on one wire affect the total charge through a point on another wire?

Changing current on one wire creates a magnetic field, which in turn induces a current on the other wire. This induced current will result in a flow of charge and therefore affect the total charge through a point on the wire.

3) Can you measure the total charge through a point on a wire due to changing current on another wire?

Yes, the total charge can be measured by using a device called an ammeter, which measures the flow of charge through a circuit. By connecting the ammeter to the point on the wire, the total charge can be determined.

4) What factors influence the amount of total charge through a point on a wire due to changing current on another wire?

The amount of total charge through a point on a wire due to changing current on another wire is influenced by the strength and direction of the changing current, the distance between the two wires, and the properties of the materials used in the wires.

5) Can changing current on one wire affect the total charge through a point on itself?

Yes, changing current on one wire can create a magnetic field that can induce a current on the same wire in the opposite direction. This induced current will affect the total charge through a point on the wire.