Math Grant Proposal Writing Tips & Ideas

• Math
  • Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
In summary, a proposal is a plan for how the money will be spent, and it includes a literature review and results of any preliminary or pilot work. The goal is to make the funding agency understand the project and the researcher's abilities to complete it.
Dragonfall
Here's one to your mathematicians out there: What do you write in your grant proposals? I mean, you can't really outline an experiment which can only be done with the grant money or anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a mathematician, but I don't understand your line of reasoning.

The point of a proposal is just that: a proposal. When you're applying for funding, the funding agencies want to know that you a specific plan for the money they are willing to issue and that you have a reasonable chance of achieving the goals you set. Hence the proposal itself will generally contain a relevant literature review and the results of any preliminary or pilot work. These are then used to frame the project outline that follows.

I mean the only money you can ask for is a salary for yourself, and possibly money for travel and students. It's not like mathematicians need a lab, 5 technicians and millions worth of equipment.

Why does a grant proposal have to involve a large sum of money? But to answer your question there are other factors I can think of such as paying other people, purchasing software and hardware.

Dragonfall said:
I mean the only money you can ask for is a salary for yourself, and possibly money for travel and students.

Add in computers and you're right, that's about it. In the US people with the title "Research Professor" are supported almost entirely by their own grants, and of course regular professors also apply for grants so that they can higher more grad students or do less teaching.

It is not as if mathematicians or theorists have to write demeaning proposals in which they beg for a salary, they just describe why their research fulfills the grant description: "We propose to work on this and this, for these reasons, and in conclusion we thank for the commitee for considering our proposal." The grant will require some degree of accounting of the expenditures, and everyone expects salaries to be a part of this.

there are a great many experiments in mathematics that require as much computer as can be obtained. if you want to model the universe you need a second universe of equal mass. approximations will be required by people decended from us 10 billion years from now, it simply must be approximated. nevertheless scope needs be maximized for resolution increase in detail. then there are things like just three objects which cannot be solved to begin with, and requires thousands of iterations with even so little material. space trajectories require this, and places that do that have the programs hardwired on chips. you'ld be suprised how much data one can generate. and how much time it takes. the full use of a supercomputer for a year is around standard if one can get that. i mean one single program running that long say at 60% capacity is typical for some models such as the early universe. weather forcasting in america uses three at severe storms center last i heard. (supercomputers) modelling water freezing, explosions, and so forth take a great deal of space. pure mathematics can be hard to separate from that, because they arent real, they are models, and then you have to tune them. different algorithms are more efficient. so sometimes there are researchers, who tell programmers what to do, and that makes up a pretty good team.

1. What makes a strong math grant proposal?

A strong math grant proposal should clearly outline the research question or problem being addressed, provide a detailed methodology, and demonstrate the potential impact and significance of the proposed project. It should also include a budget and timeline that are realistic and feasible.

2. How can I effectively communicate my ideas in a math grant proposal?

In order to effectively communicate your ideas, it is important to use clear and concise language. Avoid jargon and technical terms that may not be familiar to the reviewers. Use visual aids, such as graphs and charts, to help illustrate your points and make your proposal more engaging.

3. What should I include in the budget section of a math grant proposal?

The budget section should include all of the expenses associated with the proposed project, including personnel salaries, equipment, supplies, travel costs, and any other relevant expenses. It is important to provide detailed justifications for each expense and to ensure that the budget is realistic and in line with the scope of the project.

4. How can I make my math grant proposal stand out?

To make your math grant proposal stand out, it is important to clearly articulate the unique aspects of your project and how it differs from other research in the field. You should also highlight any potential collaborations or partnerships that will enhance the impact of your project. Additionally, showcasing any previous research or publications related to the proposed project can demonstrate your expertise and strengthen your proposal.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in math grant proposal writing?

Some common mistakes to avoid in math grant proposal writing include: not following the guidelines or instructions provided by the funding agency, not providing enough detail or justification for your project, not addressing potential limitations or challenges, and not proofreading for errors or typos. It is also important to avoid making unrealistic claims or overpromising in your proposal.