Why a phasor consists of the magnitude of a voltage multiplied

In summary, the definition of a phasor is based on the simplification of mathematical operations that can be conducted when dealing with sinusoidal signals. The phasor definition is useful for problems involving sinusoidal signals going through reactive components.
jeff1evesque
Does anyone know why a phasor consists of the magnitude of a voltage multiplied with a sinusoid? For instance,

[tex]

V_Scos(\omega t + \theta)

[/tex]

I am searching all over the web, and cannot find a general explanation why. I've found some incomplete mathematical proof showing the following:
[tex] Ae^{j \theta} = V = V_Scos(\omega t + \theta) [/tex]
but this doesn't explain the general concept.

Thanks so much,

JL

Engineering news on Phys.org

If you put 120 volts AC 60 Hz across a 1 milliFarad (1000 uF) capacitor, how do you write the equation for the current in it? If there is both a voltage across and a current through the capacitor, can you explain why the capacitor does not get hot? If the voltage is V(t) = 120 sin(wt), is the current of the form I = I0 sin(wt)?

jeff1evesque said:
Does anyone know why a phasor consists of the magnitude of a voltage multiplied with a sinusoid?

This kind of thing used to trip me up all the time before I stopped fighting it.

The reason phasors are defined that way is because it is useful to do so. Many hard mathematical operations are greatly simplified by using that definition. Then once people saw the utility of the definition it stuck.

There is nothing intrinsic in the sinusoid functions that says phasors must be defined that way. In fact, other definitions are possible and could even be more useful depending on the problem at hand. But if you want to solve problems involving sinusoidal signals going through reactive components it's going to be tough to beat the mathematical efficiency of the operations using the phasor definition.

Personally, I found searching for the history behind the definition to be very helpful. Google and wikipedia can be very useful for this. When you see, some guys wanted to solve problem X so he did Y, then it seems much less mystical and more approachable (for me anyway).

P.S.
I think your definition is misleading (but not necessarily incorrect due to the word 'sinusoid') as you did not mention phase which is a key concept of phasors. Personal taste I guess.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor_(sine_waves )

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi!
friend, from the concept of e.m.f. generation i can say you that if a conductor is rotated in a magnetic field, then emf induces in the conductor due to rate of change of flux with respect to time. If the conductor is rotated in that magnetic field for 360 degrees in space, then it's described circular path can be analyzed into a simple harmonic motion (irrespective whether it is a sine or a cosine wave); Hence you will get a magnitude and as well a sinusoid.

A phasor is basically a tool for us to use when dealing with similar frequencies. It makes it easier for us to analyze alternating signals.

We use the 'sinusoid' because all alternating signals can be expanded as a set of alternating sinusoidal signals of different frequencies (check out the theory of Fourier Transforms).

Again, the eulers form you've put up is an easy way for us to represent sinusoids and can more easily lead to results than if we were dealing with sinusoids only (I mean the complex representation of the sine wave and the complex mathematics involved).

1. Why does a phasor consist of the magnitude of a voltage multiplied?

The use of phasors in electrical engineering is based on complex numbers and their representation in the polar form, which consists of a magnitude (amplitude) and a phase angle. In a phasor diagram, the magnitude of a voltage is represented by the length of the phasor and the phase angle is represented by the direction of the phasor. Therefore, the magnitude of a voltage is multiplied to the phasor to accurately represent its amplitude.

2. What is the significance of using complex numbers in phasor representation?

Complex numbers allow for the representation of both magnitude and phase in a single number, making it a powerful tool for analyzing AC circuits. The use of complex numbers in phasor representation simplifies calculations and allows for the use of mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to solve circuit problems.

3. How does the multiplication of magnitude of a voltage in a phasor relate to circuit analysis?

In AC circuit analysis, the use of phasors allows for the conversion of differential equations into algebraic equations, making it easier to solve complex circuits. The multiplication of the magnitude of a voltage in a phasor allows for the representation of voltage sources, impedance, and currents in the circuit, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit.

4. Can phasors be used to represent other quantities besides voltage?

Yes, phasors can also be used to represent other quantities such as current, impedance, and power in AC circuits. Similar to voltage, the magnitude of these quantities can be represented by the length of the phasor and their phase angles can be represented by the direction of the phasor.

5. How are phasors used in practical applications?

Phasors are used in a variety of practical applications, including power system analysis, control systems, and signal processing. They allow for the analysis and design of complex circuits and systems, making them an essential tool for electrical engineers in various industries.