ACS Meeting in San Francisco

• Thread starter LtStorm
  • Start date
In summary, as a graduate student, you are interested in attending the upcoming spring ACS meeting and are seeking advice on how to secure a travel stipend. You are currently on a standard department TAship and are unsure if your professor's proposals will be funded in time for him to pay for your trip. You are open to any suggestions for finding funding, including reaching out to your department or university, the ACS, symposium organizers, and potential sponsors.
LtStorm
Hey, graduate student here, I was looking over the press release or whatever that I got for the upcoming spring ACS meeting. There's a symposium I'd really like to go to, not to mention the general experience of attending the meeting.

The problem right now is money; I had a federal GAANN fellowship last year that included a stipend I could use for travel, but, it wasn't renewed for the school this year and I'm back on a standard department TAship.

I work for a relatively new professor who is still waiting for his bigger proposals to get funded (he's so far just gotten a few pieces of equipment funded), and while it's entirely possible one of them could get funded in time so he could pay for me and him to go to the meeting, it's a bit of a gamble.

So, what I'm wondering is, and I'm not sure if this is quite the right forum to post it in; does anyone know of any other channels I could find a travel stipend through? Some kind of small fellowship-type thing that would pay just for me to go to a meeting? Something the ACS does that I'm not aware of? I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand your desire to attend the upcoming spring ACS meeting and the importance of networking and learning from other researchers in your field. However, I understand that financial constraints can make it difficult to attend such events.

One option you may want to consider is reaching out to your department or university to see if they offer any travel grants or funding opportunities for graduate students. Many universities have programs in place to support students attending conferences and meetings related to their field of study.

Additionally, the ACS does offer some travel grants and scholarship opportunities for students. You can visit their website or contact their member services department to inquire about any current opportunities that may be available.

Another option is to reach out to the symposium organizers and see if they offer any travel scholarships or funding for graduate students. Sometimes, conference organizers are able to provide financial support for students to attend their event.

Lastly, you may want to consider crowdfunding or reaching out to potential sponsors through networking or social media. Many companies and organizations are willing to sponsor students to attend conferences and meetings in exchange for advertising or acknowledgement.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and I wish you the best of luck in finding a way to attend the ACS meeting. Remember, networking and professional development are important aspects of your career as a scientist, so don't give up on your goal to attend the conference.

Hello graduate student,

I understand your excitement for attending the upcoming ACS meeting in San Francisco and your eagerness to attend a specific symposium. However, I also understand your concern about the financial aspect of attending the meeting.

I can suggest a few options for you to explore in order to secure a travel stipend for the meeting. Firstly, you can reach out to your university's graduate office to see if they have any funding opportunities for students attending conferences. They may have specific grants or scholarships available for this purpose.

Secondly, you can also look into external funding sources such as foundations or organizations that offer travel grants for graduate students attending conferences. The ACS itself offers travel grants for students, so be sure to check their website for any available opportunities.

Additionally, you can also reach out to the symposium organizers and ask if they have any funding available for students attending their session. Sometimes, they may have a limited budget to support student attendees.

Lastly, I would also suggest looking into alternative ways to attend the meeting, such as presenting a poster or giving a talk. These options may come with a reduced registration fee or even waived fees for students.

I hope these suggestions help you in finding a travel stipend for the ACS meeting. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of the ACS Meeting in San Francisco?

The ACS Meeting in San Francisco is a conference hosted by the American Chemical Society (ACS) that brings together scientists, researchers, and industry professionals to share the latest advancements and discoveries in the field of chemistry.

2. When and where will the ACS Meeting in San Francisco take place?

The ACS Meeting in San Francisco will take place on March 22-26, 2020 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California.

3. How can I register for the ACS Meeting in San Francisco?

Registration for the ACS Meeting in San Francisco can be done online through the ACS website. Early registration discounts are available until February 28, 2020.

4. What types of presentations and sessions can I expect at the ACS Meeting in San Francisco?

The ACS Meeting in San Francisco will feature a variety of presentations, including plenary lectures, symposia, poster sessions, and workshops. There will also be opportunities for networking and career development.

5. Is there financial assistance available for attending the ACS Meeting in San Francisco?

The ACS offers travel grants and awards for students and early-career professionals to attend the ACS Meeting in San Francisco. Additionally, some universities and organizations may offer funding for conference attendance. Check with your institution for more information.