Horizontal and vertical component of acceleration

In summary, the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration refer to the rate of change in velocity in the horizontal and vertical directions, respectively. These components work together to determine the overall acceleration of an object in a two-dimensional motion. The horizontal component is affected by external forces such as friction, while the vertical component is influenced by the force of gravity. Understanding the relationship between these components is crucial in analyzing the motion of objects in various scenarios.
lolzwhut?
Honestly, I am soo confused...And this is the last problem left. If I get it wrong then I'm in trouble. Please help! I don't know what to do at all.

A skier squats low and races down a(n) 11 degrees ski slope. During a 5 second interval, the skier accelerates at 2.3 m/s^2.

(A) What is the horizontal component of the skier's acceleration (perpendicular to the direction of free fall)? Answer in units of m/s^2.

(B) What is the vertical component of the skier's acceleration? Answer in units of m/s^2.

Givens:
11 degree ski slope, 5 seconds interval, acceleration = 2.3 m/s^2.

2. Homework Equations :
No clue what to use :S

The Attempt at a Solution

All my previous attempts were completely off topic :(

Please can someone do this problem, and show me how it's done?

Physics news on Phys.org
lolzwhut? said:
Honestly, I am soo confused...And this is the last problem left. If I get it wrong then I'm in trouble. Please help! I don't know what to do at all.

A skier squats low and races down a(n) 11 degrees ski slope. During a 5 second interval, the skier accelerates at 2.3 m/s^2.

(A) What is the horizontal component of the skier's acceleration (perpendicular to the direction of free fall)? Answer in units of m/s^2.

(B) What is the vertical component of the skier's acceleration? Answer in units of m/s^2.

Givens:
11 degree ski slope, 5 seconds interval, acceleration = 2.3 m/s^2.

2. Homework Equations :
No clue what to use :S

The Attempt at a Solution

All my previous attempts were completely off topic :(

Please can someone do this problem, and show me how it's done?

No we won't do your problem for you. That's not how the PF works. Please re-read the Rules link at the top of the page

Draw the free body diagram for the skier and show the forces and acceleration. That should get you to the answer pretty quickly.

berkeman said:
No we won't do your problem for you. That's not how the PF works. Please re-read the Rules link at the top of the page

Draw the free body diagram for the skier and show the forces and acceleration. That should get you to the answer pretty quickly.

I don't know how to show the forces..The is the only problem that's holding me back.

lolzwhut? said:
I don't know how to show the forces..The is the only problem that's holding me back.

Have you drawn a free body diagram before? What will it look like in this problem?

Presumably there is no friction, so there will be no friction force back up the slope. So the only force on the skier is due to what? Draw that force and its vertical and horizontal components. Remember that F=ma, and remember the kinematic equations of motion under constant acceleration. What are those equations for position and velocity?

berkeman said:
Have you drawn a free body diagram before? What will it look like in this problem?

Presumably there is no friction, so there will be no friction force back up the slope. So the only force on the skier is due to what? Draw that force and its vertical and horizontal components. Remember that F=ma, and remember the kinematic equations of motion under constant acceleration. What are those equations for position and velocity?

I'm still lost because the assignment I'm doing has problems that have not yet been taught by our instructor...I'm still not clear on how to conduct this problem. How do i draw the force with its vertical and horizontal components? I mean the only givens we really have is acceleration, time and the degree of the slope

lolzwhut? said:
I'm still lost because the assignment I'm doing has problems that have not yet been taught by our instructor...I'm still not clear on how to conduct this problem. How do i draw the force with its vertical and horizontal components? I mean the only givens we really have is acceleration, time and the degree of the slope

You're fishing trying to get me to do the work for you. Aint going happen. Post the kinematic equations of motion that you will use. Tell us what forces act on the skier. Do the work.

berkeman said:
You're fishing trying to get me to do the work for you. Aint going happen. Post the kinematic equations of motion that you will use. Tell us what forces act on the skier. Do the work.

You said F=ma.

Well, how can we use that if we only have acceleration that fits in that? We don't have mass.
Also, what would we use the 11 degrees for?

lolzwhut? said:
You said F=ma.

Well, how can we use that if we only have acceleration that fits in that? We don't have mass.
Also, what would we use the 11 degrees for?

Yes, you will use F=ma, where F is the sum of all the vector forces you have in your free body diagram (FBD). The 11 degrees is the slope of the incline, which you will use to resolve your forces into horizontal and vertical components. You will use the kinematic equations of motion to get the accleration from the final speed and distance. Use wikipedia if you need more info on the kinematic equations of motion or FBDs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_body_diagram

I'm off the PF for a while starting now. Please spend the time reading the info at wikipedia, and draw your FBD. I don't believe you when you say this hasn't been covered in class. Even if true, the wikipedia links provide the info.

1. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical component of acceleration?

The horizontal component of acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity in the horizontal direction. This means it measures the change in the object's speed or direction along the x-axis. On the other hand, the vertical component of acceleration measures the change in the object's speed or direction along the y-axis.

2. How are the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration related?

The horizontal and vertical components of acceleration are related through vector addition. This means that the total acceleration of an object is equal to the vector sum of its horizontal and vertical components. This relationship is described by the Pythagorean theorem, where the total acceleration is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components.

3. How can the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration be calculated?

The horizontal and vertical components of acceleration can be calculated using trigonometric functions. The horizontal component can be found by multiplying the object's acceleration by the cosine of the angle between the object's velocity and the x-axis. Similarly, the vertical component can be found by multiplying the object's acceleration by the sine of the same angle.

4. What is the significance of the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration in motion?

The horizontal and vertical components of acceleration are important in understanding the motion of an object. They can help us determine the direction in which an object is accelerating and how much it is accelerating in that direction. These components also play a crucial role in analyzing projectile motion, where an object's motion can be broken down into its horizontal and vertical components.

5. Can the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration be negative?

Yes, the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration can be negative. This occurs when the object is accelerating in the opposite direction of the positive x or y-axis. For example, if an object is moving to the left, its horizontal acceleration would be negative. Similarly, if an object is moving downwards, its vertical acceleration would be negative.