BALL BOUNCING INFINITELY to find distance covered

• Thread starter abrahamrenns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, a ball is dropped from a height and it bounces with restitution. The distance it travels before coming to a stop is finite, and is not infinity.
abrahamrenns
ok, the qn is..
a ball is dropped from H height. it bounces with restitution e. homework much distance will it cover before it comes to rest..? surely, it is not infinity if i am not mistaken, since the bounces become infinitesimally small and then it tends to zero.. thnx in advance for any help..

Physics news on Phys.org
abrahamrenns said:
ok, the qn is..
a ball is dropped from H height. it bounces with restitution e. homework much distance will it cover before it comes to rest..? surely, it is not infinity if i am not mistaken, since the bounces become infinitesimally small and then it tends to zero.. thnx in advance for any help..

What did you try to solve your problem?

If on every bounce ball loses some fixed percentage of it's momentum, then you should calculate path traveled depending on starting momentum and sum it up. I am pretty sure you should get geometric sum.

abrahamrenns said:
ok, the qn is..

You have more or less rediscovered Zeno's paradox. But you're instincts are correct. The key is that the bounces become infinitesimally small, and no matter how great a finite number of bounces (finite amount of time) the distance traveled with always be finite.

can some one please take the pains to actually calculate it? it wudnt be difficult for a few here atleast.. i am not able to do it..

abrahamrenns said:
can some one please take the pains to actually calculate it? it wudnt be difficult for a few here atleast.. i am not able to do it..

Well, we do have assignments forums, but here you go. First, what distance will travel ball with upwards initial velocity v' ?

v(t) = v' - gt

it will reach max. height in t' = v'/g . Total distance traveled in one jump will be

d(v') = 2*1/2*g*t'[tex]^{2}[/tex] = v'[tex]^{2}[/tex]/g

After each bounce starting velocity is lowered by factor [tex]\alpha[/tex] . So total distance is

D = H + v'[tex]^{2}[/tex]/g + ([tex]\alpha[/tex] v')[tex]^{2}[/tex] /g + ([tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] v')[tex]^{2}[/tex] /g + ... = H + v'[tex]^{2}[/tex]/g (1+[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + [tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]^{4}[/tex] + ... )

Substitution [tex]\beta[/tex] = [tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
allows you to calculate infinite geometric sum.

Use energy conservation to link starting height H with v' .

Last edited:
That's getting more complicated than necessary!

The original problem told us that "it bounces with restitution e" which means that if it was dropped from height h, then it bounces up to height eh on the first bounce, [itex]e(eh)= e^2h[/itex] on the second, etc. Because it goes the same distance up as down, the total distance will be [itex]h+ 2eh+ 2e^2h+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex], almost a geometric series. We can make it a geometric series by adding and subtracting h: [itex]-h+ 2h+ 2eh+ 2e^2h+ ...[/itex] where everything after the first "-h" is a gemetric series with first term 2h and constant ratio e. That total distance is
[tex]-h+ \frac{2h}{1- e}= \frac{-h+ +eh+ 2h}{1- e}= \frac{1+e}{1- e}h[/tex]

Yep it's a nice problem to work out.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
The original problem told us that "it bounces with restitution e" which means that if it was dropped from height h, then it bounces up to height eh on the first bounce, [itex]e(eh)= e^2h[/itex] on the second, etc. Because it goes the same distance up as down, the total distance will be [itex]h+ 2eh+ 2e^2h+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex], almost a geometric series. We can make it a geometric series by adding and subtracting h: [itex]-h+ 2h+ 2eh+ 2e^2h+ ...[/itex] where everything after the first "-h" is a gemetric series with first term 2h and constant ratio e. That total distance is
[tex]-h+ \frac{2h}{1- e}= \frac{-h+ +eh+ 2h}{1- e}= \frac{1+e}{1- e}h[/tex]

That is a nice solution. And if you wanted to fine-tune it... would it be possible to take into account that with every bounce, the ball gets deformed, less elastic and the coefficient of restitution diminishes?

HallsofIvy said:
That's getting more complicated than necessary!

The original problem told us that "it bounces with restitution e" which means t... total distance is

English is not my native and, to tell you the truth, I thought e plays role something like my [tex]\alpha[/tex]. I too learned something today! Thanks for clearing that up! :)

It's about right except that on rebounce it's not [tex] eh [/tex] but [tex] e^{2}h [/tex].
by definition [tex]e = \frac{v_2}{v_1} = \frac{\sqrt{2gh_2}}{\sqrt{2gh_1}} [/tex] or [tex]e = \sqrt{\frac{h_2}{h_1}}[/tex] . Look at the wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution" Meaning the finale answer is [tex] D = \frac{1+e^2}{1-e^2}h [/tex] . I also took the liberty to calculate the time it would take [tex] T = \frac{1+e}{1-e}\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} [/tex]

I am more curious about weather or not real superball or bouncy balls rebounce an infinite number of time . It is likely not because of imperfections they may have or because of other processes in the way . I would estimate a real superball bounces between 20 to 50 times before resting.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a ball bounce infinitely to find distance covered?

The ball bounces infinitely by following the laws of physics, specifically the conservation of energy. When the ball is dropped, it gains kinetic energy as it falls and then loses potential energy when it bounces back up. This process continues infinitely as long as there is no external force acting on the ball.

2. What factors affect the distance covered by a ball bouncing infinitely?

The distance covered by a ball bouncing infinitely is affected by the initial height from which it is dropped, the surface it bounces on, and the elasticity of the ball. A higher initial height will result in a longer distance covered, a harder surface will result in a shorter distance, and a more elastic ball will result in a longer distance.

3. How is the distance calculated for a ball bouncing infinitely?

The distance covered by a ball bouncing infinitely can be calculated using the formula d = h + (h * r), where d is the total distance covered, h is the initial height from which the ball is dropped, and r is the coefficient of restitution or the ratio of the height of the bounce to the initial height.

4. Can the distance covered by a ball bouncing infinitely be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the distance covered by a ball bouncing infinitely. As the ball bounces, it will experience air resistance which will gradually slow it down. This will result in a shorter distance covered compared to a scenario with no air resistance.

5. Is the distance covered by a ball bouncing infinitely always the same?

No, the distance covered by a ball bouncing infinitely can vary depending on the factors mentioned in question 2. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance or wind can also affect the distance covered. Therefore, the distance covered may not always be the same in every scenario.