Hydrogen spin-orbit interaction

In summary: I started to use the classical methods and thought about it, it all came together.In summary, Thomas used the classical rotation and classical relativity to get the spin-orbital interaction equation.
ian2012
For a particular energy level in hydrogen, with quantum numbers n and l, one will find when considering the spin-orbit interaction, the level is split into two fine structure levels with energy separation:

[tex]\Delta E_{s.o.}=\beta_{nl}(l+1/2)[/tex]

I was trying to prove this result. The spin of an electron is 1/2. Therefore there are two possible values for the total angular momentum, as the spin can be either +-1/2. Therefore using (and the relevant energy spin-orbit equation):

[tex]\Delta E_{s.o.}=E_{j=l+1/2}-E_{j=l-1/2}[/tex]

gives the first result. However, when you follow the proof through I am confused because in the energy spin-orbit equation (not stated here) you use s=1/2 for both possible energy states. However you use l=+-1/2 for the angular momentum. Why is this? Surely you'd use s=+-1/2 for the electron spin also?

Physics news on Phys.org
ian2012 said:
For a particular energy level in hydrogen, with quantum numbers n and l, one will find when considering the spin-orbit interaction, the level is split into two fine structure levels with energy separation:

[tex]\Delta E_{s.o.}=\beta_{nl}(l+1/2)[/tex]

I was trying to prove this result. The spin of an electron is 1/2. Therefore there are two possible values for the total angular momentum, as the spin can be either +-1/2. Therefore using (and the relevant energy spin-orbit equation):

[tex]\Delta E_{s.o.}=E_{j=l+1/2}-E_{j=l-1/2}[/tex]

gives the first result. However, when you follow the proof through I am confused because in the energy spin-orbit equation (not stated here) you use s=1/2 for both possible energy states. However you use l=+-1/2 for the angular momentum. Why is this? Surely you'd use s=+-1/2 for the electron spin also?

Angular momentum is always positive. However, the total angular momentum j is a vector sum of l and s, so it may assume values spanning from |l-s| to l+s, when both l and s are non-zero. So, it is not that you use positive and negative values for angular momentum in the equation, it is that you need to consider all the ways that l and s can couple to yield j. Clear?

Yeah, i understand why l is positive. However, my question was concerning the spin. When you prove the result you use only the positive value for spin (s=1/2), for both the j=1+1/2 and j=l-1/2 states.

[tex]E_{s.o.}=\frac{\beta}{2} [j(j+1)-l(l+1)-s(s+1)][/tex]

You use positive values for l and s in the above equation. I don't understand why the positive values for s, since as you said, you have to consider all the ways l and s can couple to yield j.

ian2012 said:
Yeah, i understand why l is positive. However, my question was concerning the spin. When you prove the result you use only the positive value for spin (s=1/2), for both the j=1+1/2 and j=l-1/2 states.

You use positive values for l and s in the above equation. I don't understand why the positive values for s, since as you said, you have to consider all the ways l and s can couple to yield j.

right ... and for different couplings you have different values of j. If you assume we are talking about the 2p orbital, then l=1, s=1/2, and we have two possibilities:

2P3/2 state: l=1, s=1/2, j=l+s=3/2 --> E=beta/2(15/4 - 8/4 - 3/4) = beta/2

2P1/2 state: l=1, s=1/2, j=|l-s|=1/2 --> E=beta/2(3/4 - 8/4 - 3/4) = -beta

Okay, so strictly l and s are always positive. It is just for different coupling, j will take different values: |l-s|< or = j < or = l+s ?

ian2012 said:
Okay, so strictly l and s are always positive. It is just for different coupling, j will take different values: |l-s|< or = j < or = l+s ?

You got it. :wink:

ian2012 said:

The spin-orbital interaction (L S coupling) is gotten using the Law of cosines as follows, (though the sign is a little different),

[tex]2 \hat{L} \cdot \hat{S} = (\hat{L}+\hat{S})^2(=\hat{J}^2) - \hat{L}^2 - \hat{S}^2 = (J(J+1) -l(l+1)-s(s+1)) \hbar^2[/tex]

Here we have to consider the precession of the orbital and spin movement, so we use [tex]J(J+1),l(l+1),s(s+1)[/tex] instead of [tex]J^2, l^2, s^2[/tex].

The s is positive, but the figures of the triangle are different between J=L-1/2 and J=L+1/2.
The three sides of both triangles are [tex]\sqrt{J(J+1)}, \sqrt{l(l+1)}, \sqrt{s(s+1)}[/tex]. (Here, only J is different.)
This means the angles between [tex]\sqrt{l(l+1)}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{s(s+1)}[/tex]are different in both cases.

Strange to say, the equation of the spin-orbital interaction is gotten by the "classical" methods.
Thomas used the classical rotation and classical relativity to get this equation. (This value coincided with the Sommerfeld's equation.)

So Pauli said in the Novel lecture, as follows,
--------------------------
Although at first I strongly doubted the correctness of this idea because of its classical-mechanical character, I was finally converted to it by Thomas' calculations on the magnitude of doublet splitting.
On the other hand, my earlier doubts as well as the cautious expression <<classically non-describable two-valuedness>> experienced a certain verification during later development...
-------------------------

Last edited:

What is the hydrogen spin-orbit interaction?

The hydrogen spin-orbit interaction is a phenomenon in which the spin of the electron in a hydrogen atom interacts with its orbital motion around the nucleus, resulting in a splitting of energy levels. This interaction is a consequence of both the electron's magnetic moment and its motion in a magnetic field caused by the nucleus.

Why is the hydrogen spin-orbit interaction important?

The hydrogen spin-orbit interaction plays a crucial role in many physical and chemical processes, such as the fine structure of spectral lines and the hyperfine structure of atomic energy levels. It also has implications in astrophysics, as it affects the absorption and emission of light from hydrogen in stars and other astronomical objects.

How is the hydrogen spin-orbit interaction calculated?

The hydrogen spin-orbit interaction can be calculated using the fine structure constant, which is a dimensionless number that characterizes the strength of the interaction. The calculation involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom, taking into account the spin of the electron and its orbital motion around the nucleus.

What is the difference between spin-orbit coupling and spin-spin coupling?

Spin-orbit coupling refers to the interaction between the spin and orbital motion of an electron, while spin-spin coupling refers to the interaction between the spins of two or more electrons. Spin-orbit coupling is a relativistic effect, while spin-spin coupling is a result of the magnetic interactions between the spins of the electrons.

Can the hydrogen spin-orbit interaction be observed experimentally?

Yes, the hydrogen spin-orbit interaction can be observed experimentally through spectroscopy. By measuring the energy levels of hydrogen atoms using spectroscopic techniques, the splitting caused by the spin-orbit interaction can be observed. This has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is a well-established phenomenon in physics.