What is the mass of this object?

• Thread starter chengbin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, a net force of 200N caused an object's velocity to change from 30km/h to 20km/h in 2.3s. The object's acceleration was found to be -1.2m/s^2, and its mass was calculated to be approximately 170kg. The answer key may have a typo, as the given answer of 170g does not match the calculated value.
chengbin

Homework Statement

A net force of 200N is applied to an object, causing its velocity to change from 30km/h to 20km/h in 2.3s.

Homework Equations

What is the object's acceleration? What is its mass?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer for acceleration (-1.2m/s^2), but I'm having trouble with finding the mass.

I'm getting 199kg (m = 200N/1.2m/s^2), but the answer key says 170g. How is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
200/1.2 does not equal 199.

The answer should indeed be about 170kg.
Check your calculations again.

Thanks.

Apparently I can't use my calculator properly.

I guess 170g is probably a typo in the book.

they probably meant 170kg.
I got 167.8kg, which approximated to two significant figures gives indeed 170kg.

As a scientist, the mass of an object is a measure of its inertia, or resistance to changes in motion. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g). In this case, the mass of the object cannot be determined from the given information. While the force and acceleration can be calculated, the mass of the object is not provided. Additionally, the units used in the attempted solution (kg) do not match the units used in the answer key (g). It is important to pay attention to units in scientific calculations, as they can greatly affect the final result. Without knowing the mass of the object, it is not possible to accurately determine its resistance to changes in motion.

1. What does the term "mass" refer to?

The term "mass" refers to the amount of matter contained within an object. It is a measure of the object's inertia and its resistance to changes in motion.

2. How is the mass of an object measured?

The mass of an object is typically measured using a scale. The object is placed on the scale and the weight is recorded. The weight can then be converted to mass using the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What unit is used to measure mass?

The most common unit used to measure mass is kilograms (kg). However, in some cases, other units such as grams (g) or pounds (lbs) may be used.

4. Can mass change depending on the location?

No, the mass of an object does not change depending on its location. Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and remains the same regardless of where it is located.

5. How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are two different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains the same regardless of location, while weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.