Do time and space occur in quantum units?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of space and time existing in discreet units rather than a continuous continuum. While there is no strong evidence supporting this theory, there are efforts being made to quantize space-time in order to simplify physical problems. However, it is difficult to probe into smaller and smaller information and there is still no definite answer about the nature of space and time at very small scales. Many theories, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, attempt to explain this concept, but it is difficult to empirically verify them. The conversation suggests doing further research on the topic and provides some resources for doing so.
arcadesonfire
Hi folks, I've never taken a real quantum physics course, so this question miiight be really silly, but here it is:

I'm wondering if there's any research going on or any established theories about time and space themselves occurring in quantum units rather than occurring in a continuum that can be divided over and over ad infinitum.

In other words, can a quantum particle exist anywhere, or is there evidence suggesting that it must exist at a quantifiable point on a space/time grid?

Or is there strong evidence or proof that space/time are definitely continuums where there's always a position between any two points?

Anyone ever run across any discussions of this or have any suggestions for things i should read?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no evidence showing that space or time are discreet units. According to General Relativity, a particle moves continuously through space-time (space and time). These are both relative units and have no meaning outside of a relativistic context. Depending on the relative energy of 2 particles, the distances between the two (when choosing the right frame of reference) range from ~0 (at velocities ~c) to the resting distance d (where v' [the relative velocity] = 0).

However, there is work being done to quantize space-time in order to simplify physical problems with space-time at and smaller than the Planck scale. Quantum field theory breaks down at the Planck scale and this is the driving force and one of the final problems in coming up with a TOE (theory of everything). This is one of the instances when QM and Relativity clash.

**It's difficult (understatement) to probe into smaller and smaller information (Planck constant) about time/distance, mass/energy, etc. Just as its very difficult to probe light without mucking up your results (e.g. slit test).

At the current state of things, its impossible to tell if space-time is continuous or not at very small scales. Just as the mechanisms which cause randomness in QM are not explained, whether its turtles all the way down, whether there is an infinite universe or pink dragons just out of our line-of-sight, it's generally physics taboo to project your own opinions about "whats going on behind the scenes" without evidence of any kind.

I think that often times personal taste influences the understanding of physics. I've been guilty of it many times myself.

String theory (bleh) is taking a stab at quantum gravity, there is loop theory, and a whole muddled up mess of other things to confuse the crap out of everyone on the topic of 'how small is the smallest'.

Check out Wikipedia for a start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_spacetime

Last edited:
Isn't there a debate about this? About Planck time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_time) and Planck length? Anyways, such theories will be very difficult to empirically verify.

Simfish said:
Isn't there a debate about this? About Planck time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_time) and Planck length? Anyways, such theories will be very difficult to empirically verify.

Agreed. Just throwing what information I had at him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubly-special_relativity

In principle, it seems difficult to incorporate an invariant length magnitude in a theory which preserves Lorentz invariance due to Lorentz-FitzGerald contraction, but in the same way that Special Relativity incorporates an invariant velocity by modifying the high-velocity behavior of Galilean transformations, DSR modifies Lorentz transformations at small distances (large energies) in such a way to admit a length invariant scale (planck length) without destroying the principle of relativity. The postulates on which DSR theories are constructed are:

1. The principle of relativity holds, i.e. equivalence of all inertial observers.
2. There are two observer-independent scales: the speed of light, c, and a length (energy) scale λ (η = 1 / λ) in such a way that when λ → 0 (η → ∞), special relativity is recovered

Thanks for all the replies folks. I've got a lot to read up on to understand the things being researched. I had been wondering if any minimal limits (like Planck) were interpreted as signs that time/space had to be discreetly quantifiable, but then again, even if we couldn't see between one point and another, that doesn't mean there isn't something between...

But at the moment, i think i don't even have a good enough understanding of the contemporary quantum and relativity theories to frame my wonderings correctly. So i'll be researching all the things you've brought to my attention.

Thanks again!

this article was being discussed in all the forums recently
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/301/5637/1169.1.summary

a good place to start reading and to ask questions is here in the "beyond" forum https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

there are both string theory and loop quantum gravity discussions (as well as other topics related to quantum gravity research programs)

1. What are quantum units?

Quantum units refer to the smallest possible discrete units of measurement in the quantum world. They are used to describe the fundamental building blocks of matter and energy, such as atoms, electrons, and photons.

2. How are time and space related in quantum units?

In the quantum world, time and space are closely interconnected and cannot be separated. This is known as the space-time fabric, where both time and space are considered to be continuous and inseparable.

3. Do time and space occur in discrete units in the quantum world?

Yes, according to some theories, time and space occur in discrete units in the quantum world. This means that they are not continuous, but rather are made up of tiny, indivisible units. This is known as the concept of "quantization."

4. How do quantum units affect our understanding of time and space?

Quantum units challenge our traditional understanding of time and space and suggest that they may not be as absolute and consistent as we once thought. They also provide insights into the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

5. Are quantum units the only way to measure time and space?

No, there are other ways to measure time and space, such as the traditional units of seconds and meters. However, in the quantum world, these traditional units may not accurately reflect the behavior and interactions of particles, and thus quantum units provide a more accurate and comprehensive understanding.