Atmosphere, carbon dioxide and water vapour help?

In summary: It is forbidden to post questions and answers on this site that have not been explicitly cleared by a tutor."In summary, this conversation is about atmospheric gases and their role in climate. The main points that were covered are that carbon dioxide and water vapour are important in helping to create an atmosphere, and that there are other molecules as well.
helpemz2011
atmosphere, carbon dioxide and water vapour help??

(c)
One cubic metre (1 m3) of atmosphere at sea level contains 3.80 × 10(power of)2 ppm of CO2 and 5.00 × 10(power of)3 ppm of water vapour.
If there is a total of 2.6 × 10(power of)25 molecules in 1 m3 of air, calculate how many molecules of CO2 and water vapour there are in 1 m3 of air. Give your answers to the appropriate number of significant figures.

my workings-CO2 - 380 ppm water vapour - 5000 ppm

7.063% CO2, 92.463% water vapour

2.6 x 10(power of)25 / 100 = 2.6 x 10(power of)23
2.6 x 10(power of)23 x 7.063

CO2 1.8368 x 10(power of)24
water vapour 2.416336 x 10 (power of)25

As you can see what i have managed to do is completely loose the plot and don't even understand what i have done myself any help would be great cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to Physics Forums.

helpemz2011 said:
(c)
One cubic metre (1 m3) of atmosphere at sea level contains 3.80 × 10(power of)2 ppm of CO2 and 5.00 × 10(power of)3 ppm of water vapour.
If there is a total of 2.6 × 10(power of)25 molecules in 1 m3 of air, calculate how many molecules of CO2 and water vapour there are in 1 m3 of air. Give your answers to the appropriate number of significant figures.

my workings-CO2 - 380 ppm water vapour - 5000 ppm

7.063% CO2, 92.463% water vapour
Well, it doesn't really work that way. Besides the CO2 and water vapour, there are other molecules as well.

Here is a better way to think about it:
If you have 1 million molecules total, then 380 of them will be CO2. That is what "ppm" means: parts per million.
So if 380 out of 1 million molecules are CO2, what percentage would that be?

hey 0.038% and 0.500%? if this is right how does this help me with the next part of the question?

cheers emz

Or would the answer simply be 2.80x10(p-o)2 ppm + 5.00x10(p-o)3 ppm = 5380 ppm

Appropriate number of significant figures - 5400 ppm of carbon dioxide and water vapour? or 5380 ppm of carbon dioxide and water vapour?

Could it be that simple I was just way way way over complicating things?

cheers emz

helpemz2011 said:
hey 0.038% and 0.500%? if this is right how does this help me with the next part of the question?
You're on the right track here.

So if you have "a total of 2.6 × 1025 molecules in 1 m3 of air" (quoted from your original post), and 0.038% of those molecules are water vapour molecules, how many water vapour molecules are there?

helpemz2011 said:
Or would the answer simply be 2.80x10(p-o)2 ppm + 5.00x10(p-o)3 ppm = 5380 ppm
Well, no. They are asking how many total molecules, of each type, are there in 1 m3 of air. Giving an answer in ppm is really not an answer to that question.

9.88x10(p-o)21 water vapour and 1.3x10(p-o)23 carbon dioxide?

i really don't know

emz

Your numbers are correct. One minor detail: the problem said to use the appropriate number of significant figures. That would change one of your answers.

so the final answer would be 9.88x10(p-o)21 of water vapour and 1.30x10(p-o)23 of carbon dioxide?

cheers emz

sorry 9.88x10(p-o)21 carbon dioxide and 1.30x10(p-o)23 water vapour?

What is your reasoning? How many significant figures are there in all the numbers involved in the calculation?

2 and 3? i really don't know my head is fried!

9.9x10(p-o)21 carbon dioxide and 1.3x10(p-o)23 water vapour?

emz

Don't guess!

Here are the numbers, how many sig figs in each?

3.80 × 102 ppm of CO2
5.00 × 103 ppm of water vapour.
2.6 × 1025 total molecules

Good luck to you.

3, 3 and 2 so they have 2 significant figures as you round to the least precise one?!

thanks emz

thank you very very much

emz

Emz: you do realize that you are not allowed to publish TMA questions and answers don't you?

I advise you talk to your Open University tutor in future.

EW
OU S104 2011B

1. How do atmosphere, carbon dioxide, and water vapour help regulate the Earth's temperature?

The atmosphere, carbon dioxide, and water vapour all play important roles in regulating the Earth's temperature. The atmosphere acts as a blanket, trapping heat from the sun and preventing it from escaping into space. Carbon dioxide, along with other greenhouse gases, absorbs and re-emits infrared radiation, trapping even more heat in the atmosphere. Water vapour also acts as a greenhouse gas and helps regulate the Earth's temperature by absorbing and releasing heat.

2. Why are carbon dioxide and water vapour considered greenhouse gases?

Carbon dioxide and water vapour are considered greenhouse gases because they have the ability to absorb and re-emit infrared radiation. This process traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere and contributes to the greenhouse effect, which helps regulate the Earth's temperature.

3. How does the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere affect the Earth's climate?

The concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has a significant impact on the Earth's climate. As the concentration of carbon dioxide increases, more heat is trapped in the atmosphere, leading to a rise in global temperatures. This increase in temperatures can have various effects on the Earth's climate, including changes in weather patterns, sea levels, and the frequency of extreme weather events.

4. What is the relationship between water vapour and the Earth's water cycle?

Water vapour is a critical component of the Earth's water cycle. It is continually evaporated from bodies of water, such as oceans and lakes, and released into the atmosphere. As it rises and cools, it condenses into clouds and eventually falls back to the Earth as precipitation. This cycle is essential for maintaining the Earth's water balance and providing water for plants, animals, and humans.

5. How do human activities contribute to the increase in carbon dioxide and water vapour in the atmosphere?

Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and agriculture, release large amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. These activities also contribute to an increase in water vapour through evaporation and irrigation. As a result, the concentrations of these greenhouse gases in the atmosphere have been steadily rising, leading to climate change and other environmental impacts.