Maxwell's tensorial equations.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
F we get zero the term F^{ac}\eta^{bd} F_{ad,c} ?Yes, exactly. The term becomes symmetric in a and c, but the metric is antisymmetric in a and c, so the whole thing becomes antisymmetric, and any antisymmetric tensor contracted with a symmetric tensor will be zero.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I wanto show that:
[tex]\partial_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu}=0[/tex] for
[tex]T^{\mu\nu} = F^{\mu \rho}\eta_{\rho\sigma}F^{\sigma \nu}+\frac{1}{4}\eta^{\mu\nu}F_{\rho\sigma}F^{\rho\sigma})[/tex]
by using Maxwell's equations.
Here are my steps (it's not for HW, I am auditing this course):
[tex]\partial_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu} = F^{\mu \rho}_{,\mu} \eta_{\rho \sigma} F^{\sigma \nu} + F^{\mu \rho} \eta_{\rho \sigma} F^{\sigma \nu}_{,\mu} + \frac{1}{4} \eta^{\mu \nu} (F_{\rho \sigma , \mu} F^{\rho \sigma}+F_{\rho \sigma} F^{\rho \sigma}_{,\mu})[/tex]

I can't see the forrest from the trees, can someone hint me how to simplify this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the Maxwell equations written in terms of F, i.e. [tex] \nabla_a F^{ab} =0 [/tex] (kills your first term for e.g.) and [tex] \nabla_{[a}F_{bc]}=0 [/tex]

and remember that F is antisymmetric itself, which simplifies the second equation somewhat to [tex] \partial_a F_{bc}+\partial_b F_{ca}+\partial_c F_{ab} =0[/tex]. You also have met compatibility and can relabel dummies and use the symmetry and antisymmetry of F, this should do the trick.

I think you will find you need to factor out an F after this, and then massage the rest into a form where you can use the second Maxwell relation by using symmetries and relabelling dummies, and then by the second equation you will get identically zero.

So I get now:
[tex]F^{\mu \rho}_{,\mu} \eta_{\rho \sigma} F^{\sigma \nu} + F^{\mu \rho} \eta_{\rho \sigma} F^{\sigma \nu}_{,\mu} + \frac{1}{4} \eta^{\mu \nu} (F_{\rho \sigma , \mu} F^{\rho \sigma}+F_{\rho \sigma} F^{\rho \sigma}_{,\mu})=
F^{\mu}_{\sigma , \mu} F^{\sigma \nu} + F^{\mu \rho}F^{\nu}_{\rho , \mu} -\frac{1}{4}[ F_{\rho \sigma , \nu} F^{\rho \sigma} +F_{\rho \sigma}F^{\rho \sigma}_{,\nu}]
[/tex]

How to procceed here? what is the compatibiliy condition here?

Thanks.

Have you thought about working out [tex]F^{\mu\rho}_{,\mu}[/tex] in terms of the 4-potential. You'll get two terms and there will be one free index and two dummy ones. You can swap the dummy indices but when you do that for F you'll pick up a minus sign and the terms will add giving you one term. Then you can argue its zero because its the product of an antisymmetric part and a symmetric part.

I tend to have to write things out because I'm still new to this stuff and so I can't do it all just using F yet. Just a thought.

I'm not sure exactly what you've done here. Starting with (where I used Maxwell 1 to rid the first term): [tex]
\eta_{cd}F^{ac} \ F^{bd}_{,a} - \frac{1}{4} \eta^{ab} (F_{cd , a} F^{cd}+F_{cd} F^{cd}_{,a}) [/tex]

[tex]
\eta_{cd}F^{ac} \ F^{bd}_{,a} - \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ab} F^{cd} F_{cd , a}[/tex]

antisym of F:

[tex]
\eta_{cd}F^{ac} \ F^{bd}_{,a} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ab} F^{dc} F_{cd , a}[/tex]

swap dummies a<->d on second term:

[tex]
\eta_{cd}F^{ac} \ F^{bd}_{,a} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{db} F^{ac} F_{ca , d}[/tex]

now pull out the factor of F, and I use metric sym:

[tex]
F^{ac}\left[\eta_{cd} F^{bd}_{,a} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{bd}F_{ca , d}\right][/tex]

Because your in flat space the metric is constant so can be brought inside the partial derivs to raise/lower indices at will (in a curved space where your commas go to semicolons one would use metric compatability [tex] g_{ab;c}=0 [/tex] at this stage):

[tex]
F^{ac}\left[\eta_{cd}\eta^{be}\eta^{df} F_{ef,a} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{bd}F_{ca , d}\right][/tex]

Now use [tex] \eta_{cd}\eta^{df}=\delta^{f}_{c} [/tex]

[tex]
F^{ac}\left[\eta^{be} F_{ec,a} + \frac{1}{2} \eta^{bd}F_{ca , d}\right][/tex]

Relabel the dummie e <->d in first term, then pull out a factor of the metric too:

[tex]
F^{ac}\eta^{bd}\left[ F_{dc,a} + \frac{1}{2} F_{ca , d}\right][/tex]

Now this can be written as:

[tex]
F^{ac}\eta^{bd}\left[\frac{1}{2} F_{dc,a} +\frac{1}{2} F_{dc,a}+ \frac{1}{2} F_{ca , d}\right][/tex]

All you have to do now is use the antisymmetry on F and symmetry on the metric, and relabel a few indices to manipulate the above in a form where the indices are correct to use Maxwell 2 : [tex]
\partial_a F_{bc}+\partial_b F_{ca}+\partial_c F_{ab} =0
[/tex] which will then be identically zero. (Note indices must end up cyclic)

THanks.

As for the last eq.
[tex] F^{ac}\eta^{bd}\left[\frac{1}{2} F_{dc,a} +\frac{1}{2} F_{dc,a}+ \frac{1}{2} F_{ca , d}\right][/tex]
if I plug:
[tex] F_{dc,a}= F_{ad,c}[/tex]
then I am done right?

So the first term is:

[tex]F^{ac}\eta^{bd} F_{dc,a} [/tex]

antisym of F:[tex]-F^{ac}\eta^{bd} F_{cd,a} [/tex]

now swap a<->c dummies:

[tex]-F^{ca}\eta^{bd} F_{ad,c} [/tex]

antisym on first F:[tex]F^{ac}\eta^{bd} F_{ad,c} [/tex]

so yep, you can do that (and the factor outside remains the same), so now it vanishes via second Maxwell.

Thanks again.

Algebriac trickery... :-)

1. What are Maxwell's tensorial equations?

Maxwell's tensorial equations are a set of four equations that describe the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism. They were first developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century, and they are still used today to accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

2. What do Maxwell's tensorial equations explain?

Maxwell's tensorial equations explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how these fields interact with charged particles. They also explain the propagation of electromagnetic waves, such as light.

3. What is the significance of Maxwell's tensorial equations?

Maxwell's tensorial equations have had a huge impact on our understanding of electricity and magnetism, and have paved the way for numerous technological advancements, such as radio, television, and wireless communication. They also played a crucial role in the development of Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. What are the four tensorial equations in Maxwell's equations?

The four tensorial equations in Maxwell's equations are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law, and Ampere's law. Together, these equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in a given region of space.

5. How are Maxwell's tensorial equations used in practical applications?

Maxwell's tensorial equations are used in a wide range of practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, developing new technologies for communication and energy production, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. They are also used in the study of astrophysics and cosmology to explain the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the universe.