Exploring Spin Measurements of Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the manipulation of spin of a particle and the state in which a certain measurement of s_x would yield +1/2. The amplitude for measuring s_z to be 1/2 or -1/2 is determined by a ratio of complex amplitudes, with a factor of i for the calculation of y.
Grand

Homework Statement

Say we want to fiddle with spin of a particle.

The state in which a measurement of [tex]s_x[/tex] is certain to yield +1/2 is:
[tex]|+,x\rangle=\sin{\frac{\pi}{4}}e^{i 0}|-\rangle+\cos{\frac{\pi}{4}}e^{-i 0}|+\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|-\rangle+\+|+\rangle)[/tex]

Now, for this state, we want to find the amplitude for measuring [tex]s_z[/tex] to be either 1/2 or -1/2. We have to apply the bra
[tex]\langle+,s_z|=sin0e^{i\phi/2}\langle-|+cos0e^{i\phi/2}\langle+|[/tex]

What I want to ask about is why in here [tex]\phi=0[/tex] as well - it is the z direction, which is determined only by [tex]\theta=0[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Grand! :wink:

If you multiply any eigenstate by an ordinary complex number, don't you get the same eigenstate?

Yes, we do. The probability is computed as mod squared of the amplitude. But here we have to show that the ratio of the complex amplitudes to measure the momentum [tex]s_z[/tex] to be 1/2 and -1/2 is 1 and for the same calculation, but for y it is i.

1. What is spin in particle physics?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles that describes their angular momentum. It is similar to the spinning of a top, but on a much smaller scale. In quantum mechanics, spin is quantized and can only have certain discrete values.

2. How is spin measured in particles?

Spin can be measured using a variety of experimental techniques, such as scattering experiments, spectroscopy, and particle collisions. The specific method used depends on the type of particle being studied and the precision of the measurement needed.

3. What is the significance of spin measurements in particle physics?

Spin measurements are crucial for understanding the fundamental properties and interactions of particles. It provides valuable information about a particle's internal structure and can help to classify particles into different groups.

4. Can particles have half-integer spin?

Yes, according to the Standard Model of particle physics, particles can have half-integer spin. These particles are known as fermions and include particles such as electrons, quarks, and neutrinos.

5. Are there any limitations to spin measurements of particles?

There are some limitations to spin measurements, as the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to know both the exact spin and position of a particle simultaneously. Additionally, the spin of a particle can be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields, making precise measurements challenging.