Bhabha Scattering: Why Only Two Leading Order Diagrams?

• Thread starter gamma5772
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of leading order Feynman diagrams in Bhabha scattering (e+ e- -> e+ e-) and the confusion about the s, t, and u-channel diagrams. It is clarified that there is only one diagram, but the reactions in the s and t-channels also contribute to Bhabha scattering. The concept of "crossing" in Feynman diagrams is also explained.
gamma5772
I don't understand why in Bhabha scattering (e+ e- -> e+ e-) why there are only two leading order Feynman diagrams. It seems to me like there should be s, t, and u-channel diagrams. Could someone explain why I am wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually there is only one diagram. If the reaction in the s-channel is AB → CD (e+ e- → e+ e-) then the reaction in the t-channel is ACBD (e+ e- → e+ e-) and both of these contribute to Bhabha scattering. But the reaction in the u-channel is Moller scattering: AD → CB (e+ e+ → e+ e+).

Sorry if I'm being slow, but the attached Feynman diagram seems to be a u-channel diagram for the reaction e+ e- -> e+ e-.

(Apologies -- I don't know how to make Feynman diagrams in latex)

Attachments

• uchannel.png
    uchannel.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 550
! "Crossing" does not mean that the lines literally cross over one another. The diagram is just rotated, so that one or more legs move from a past direction to a future direction, or vice versa.

Oh my. This is embarrassing -- I thought for a minute the diagram I just drew was distinct from the other two!

Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is Bhabha scattering?

Bhabha scattering is a type of high-energy scattering process in particle physics where an electron and a positron undergo elastic scattering. It is named after the Indian physicist Homi J. Bhabha who first proposed the theoretical framework for this process.

2. What are the two leading order diagrams in Bhabha scattering?

The two leading order diagrams in Bhabha scattering are the s-channel and t-channel diagrams. These diagrams represent the two possible ways in which the electrons and positrons can exchange energy and momentum during the scattering process.

3. Why are only two leading order diagrams considered in Bhabha scattering?

Only two leading order diagrams are considered in Bhabha scattering because they are the most dominant diagrams at high energies. Higher-order diagrams involve more complex interactions and have a smaller contribution to the overall scattering process.

4. What is the significance of the two leading order diagrams in Bhabha scattering?

The two leading order diagrams in Bhabha scattering are significant because they provide a simple and accurate description of the scattering process. They also allow for the calculation of cross-sections, which are important in determining the likelihood of a particular scattering event occurring.

5. Are there any other higher-order diagrams that contribute to Bhabha scattering?

Yes, there are higher-order diagrams that contribute to Bhabha scattering, but their contribution is relatively small compared to the two leading order diagrams. These diagrams involve more complex interactions and are usually only considered in more detailed calculations.