Levitation using microwave-induced plasmas

In summary, a paper was shared about an experiment involving the levitation of a Syrofoam object above a plasma created by a microwave horn. The explanation for the levitation effect was vague and may involve a decrease in air pressure. The technology could potentially have practical applications such as a sun-powered electro-suspension car, but further development may be needed.
nextwave
Hi all,

I came across this interesting paper the other night:

http://www.odu.edu/~spopovic/index_files/pub/LevitationPaper.pdf

An experiment was conducted involving the levitation of a Syrofoam object above a plasma created by a microwave horn.

The following explanation given for the levitation effect seemed vague (purposely?) to me.

"The thermal effect of the surface plasma brings about a localized increase in the pressure and results in a vertical flow of air, thus levitating the object"

I would think a local DECREASE in air pressure would first happen as the hot (less dense) plasma expands which would result in an updraft of air as cooler (denser) air rushes in from the sides due to the pressure gradient. However, in the photos the plasma appears nothing like the vertical shape of a candle flame as one would expect (are the changes happening too quickly to be seen before the next pulse ?).

I don't know anything much about plasma physics or aerodynamics,but how much more complicated is the situation compared to a bonfire?

Anyway, what about practical applications ? How about building a microwave plasma version the Sun-powered Electro-Suspension car from Disney's Magic Highway USA that just travels on horizontal surfaces ? :)

See @ 7.05 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6pUMlPBMQA&feature=related

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't read through the entire paper but it looks similar to a method of flying a reflective disc with a high powered laser. The laser heats up the air directly under the disc, causing it to expand, thus pushing against the disc.

If I understand what I'm seeing it's just taking advantage of a phenomenon which occurs when plasma is confined by thermal/fluid boundaries. I would think a laser would be more efficient than a plasma generator.

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing this interesting paper! I agree, the explanation for the levitation effect does seem a bit vague and could use some further clarification. I'm not an expert in plasma physics or aerodynamics either, but I would also expect a decrease in air pressure rather than an increase.

As for practical applications, I'm not sure if this technology has been developed further since the paper was published in 2008. However, I can definitely see the potential for a sun-powered electro-suspension car like the one in Disney's Magic Highway USA. Maybe one day we'll see it become a reality! Thanks for the link to the video, it was really cool to watch.

Do you have any thoughts on the potential practical applications for this technology? It seems like it could have some interesting uses in transportation or even in construction. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1. How does levitation using microwave-induced plasmas work?

Levitation using microwave-induced plasmas involves creating a plasma using a microwave source and an ionizable gas. The plasma generates an electromagnetic field that can interact with magnetic materials, causing them to levitate. The strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the microwave power, allowing for precise control of the levitation process.

2. What materials can be levitated using microwave-induced plasmas?

Most magnetic materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, can be levitated using microwave-induced plasmas. Non-magnetic materials can also be levitated if they are coated with a thin layer of a magnetic material.

3. Is levitation using microwave-induced plasmas safe?

Yes, levitation using microwave-induced plasmas is generally considered safe as long as proper precautions are taken. The plasma and electromagnetic fields are contained within a sealed chamber, and the process is closely monitored to prevent any potential hazards.

4. What are the potential applications of levitation using microwave-induced plasmas?

Levitation using microwave-induced plasmas has a wide range of potential applications, including material handling and manipulation in industrial processes, non-contact transportation systems, and even medical applications such as targeted drug delivery.

5. Are there any limitations to levitation using microwave-induced plasmas?

One of the main limitations of this technology is the need for a controlled environment, as the plasma and electromagnetic fields can be affected by external factors such as air currents. Additionally, the levitation process can be disrupted by the presence of other magnetic fields or materials that are not intended to be levitated.