Proving ST=I and TS=I: Finite Dimensionality of V and L(V)

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof for the statement that if V is finite dimensional and S and T are elements of L(V), then ST=I if and only if TS=I. The conversation includes the steps for proving both directions of the statement, as well as a discussion about proving injectivity. The final conclusion is that the proof is correct with slight corrections to the statements about injectivity.
gravenewworld
Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is a valid proof for this question.

Suppose that V is finite dimensional and S,T elements of L(V). Prove that ST=I if and only if TS=I.

Assume ST=I. Let v be an element of V, such that Tv is an element of null S. v=Iv=STv=S(Tv)=0. Since V is finite dimensional S must be invertible since it is injective. Thus if ST=I then TS=I.

Assume TS=I. Let v' be an element of V such that Sv' is in the null space of T. v'=Iv'=TSv'=0. SInce V is finite dimensional T must be invertible since it is injective. Thus if TS=I then ST=I.

Therefore ST=I if and only if TS=I.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you proven S is injective? If S(v) = 0 only if v = 0, then it's injective. Have you proven that null(S) = {0}, or just shown that the only v in V such that T(v) is in null(S) is 0? You've shown that R(T) intersect N(S) = {0}, not that N(S) = {0}, as far as I can tell.

You were on the right track I believe:

ST(v) = v. If v is not zero, then T(v) cannot be in null S, and so T(v) is not zero (since zero is in null S) if v is not zero. So it is T which is injective, which is thus invertible, so:

ST = I
TSTT' = TIT' (where T' is the inverse of T)
TS = I

The converse proof is similar. So, I think you had it right except on the first line you concluded that S was injective, when it should have been that T was injective, and vice versa for the second line. Maybe I'm wrong and your first line also proves that S is injective, but as far as I can see, it only proves that T is, not S.

Assume ST=I. Let v be an element of V, such that Tv is an element of null S. v=Iv=STv=S(Tv)=0

Doesn't This line prove that null S is ={0}? STv=0 only if v=0. Thus Tv=T(0)=0. STv=S(0)=0. so the only Tv that are in null S is the 0 vector, so S must be injective.

I don't think that's true in general. Like I said, all you've proven is that "the only Tv that are in null S is the 0 vector", but there might be some vectors x such that S(x) = 0, but there is no v such that T(v) = x. In other words, it's like I said, you've proven that N(S) intersection R(T) = {0}, where N(S) is the null space of S, and R(T) is the range of T. Say, for example, V = R² and S and T were both the projection onto the x-axis. Then the null space of S would be all the points on the the y-axis, but the only element in the range of T which is in the null space of S (i.e. which is on the y-axis) is the origin, since only the origin is both on the x-axis (in the range of T) and on the y-axis (in the null space of T). So the only Tv that are in null S is the zero vector, i.e. R(T) intersect N(S) = {0}, but null S includes more than just the zero vector, and S is not injective.

What is the importance of seeking proof in scientific research?

Looking for proof is an essential part of the scientific method. It allows us to validate our hypotheses and conclusions and ensure that our findings are accurate and reliable.

How do scientists go about finding proof for their research?

Scientists use various methods and techniques such as experiments, observations, and data analysis to gather evidence and support their claims. They also rely on peer review and replication of experiments to strengthen their findings.

What are some common challenges scientists face when looking for proof?

One of the main challenges is dealing with biases and preconceived notions that may affect the interpretation of data. Additionally, unexpected results or limitations in technology and resources can also hinder the search for proof.

Why is it important to have multiple sources of evidence?

Having multiple sources of evidence helps to strengthen the validity and reliability of research findings. It also helps to minimize the impact of biases and increases confidence in the conclusions drawn from the data.

What happens if scientists cannot find proof for their research?

If scientists are unable to find proof for their research, they may need to revise their hypotheses or consider alternative explanations for their findings. They may also need to conduct further research or experiments to gather more evidence.