Energy storage alternatives to batteries?

In summary, the author is discussing the limitations of today's electrical batteries and how they struggle to power today's technologies. They mention a technology called liquid electrolyte batteries which have the potential to be much more efficient, but face many challenges.
SubTachyon
I was pondering our reliance on and the limitations of todays electrical batteries. It seems to me (uneducated member of the public) that while technology continues to develop with an impressive momentum our energy storage methods struggle to fuel these ever evolving technologies effectively. What extends the operational time of our phones, laptops or even cars isn't primarily the development of improved batteries; It is mainly the development of more energy-efficient technologies.
My question therefore is: Are there any promising projects going on that could provide us with the much necessary high capacity, mobile, energy storage? I did a bit of research and came across http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/mar2011/2011-03-24-091.html". Sounds very promising although while it will allow me to recharge my phone in seconds it still won't change the fact that my phone will die after several hours of usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
One of the big problems with storing energy in high densities is what happens when that energy is suddenly released. Current Li-Ion technologies have appreciably high energy density. The batteries literally explode when shorted. Imagine doubling or tripling that. Using one in a device requires several electronic safety measures and that still does not provide a 100% guarantee. The liability that may come with a significantly higher energy density could make it prohibitive.

Increasing the electrodes' area permits more current from the same battery volume. This is perfectly known since they exist.

Using nanostructures is an extreme case. This is a possibility every manufacturer and researcher has in mind. Very similar to tantalum capacitors, whose sintered electrode increases the contact area.

The perfectly known drawback of the increased surface is that self-discharge accelerates consequently. Usage discharge duration and self-discharge duration vary in a very similar way; the electrode area is chosen to fit the use.

Now, provided some users want to discharge their batteries in seconds and accept self-discharge in minutes, maybe this team has a better process than other teams, maybe not. Such a battery would be in competition with ultracapacitors, for instance to store braking energy in an autobus, and a battery could be smaller than a capacitor - if it doesn't ignite.

Very cool, I got a kick out of the term "Cambridge Crude". It seems to me the biggest stumbling block in using it for a practical electric car would be the delivery system and the expense. If people can't afford the stuff or if it is too hard to get, it wouldn't be very practical.

Though, if you could store enough juice and optionally pump your tanks through for charge via conventional charging, it would be more practical. That way, you'd have the option of replacing the electrolyte or recharging it yourself.

Last edited:

1. What are some examples of energy storage alternatives to batteries?

Some examples of energy storage alternatives to batteries include compressed air, flywheels, pumped hydro, and thermal energy storage.

2. How do these alternatives compare to traditional batteries in terms of efficiency?

In general, these alternatives tend to have lower efficiency compared to traditional batteries. For example, compressed air and flywheel storage have efficiency rates around 70-80%, while pumped hydro and thermal energy storage can reach up to 90% efficiency.

3. Are energy storage alternatives more environmentally friendly than batteries?

It depends on the specific alternative being compared. Some alternatives, like pumped hydro and thermal energy storage, have minimal environmental impact. Others, such as compressed air, may have a higher impact due to the need for large reservoirs or underground storage tanks.

4. Can energy storage alternatives be used on a large scale?

Yes, many of these alternatives are already being used on a large scale, particularly in the energy grid. Pumped hydro and thermal energy storage, for example, can store large amounts of energy for use during times of high demand.

5. Are there any potential downsides to using energy storage alternatives?

One potential downside is the cost. Many alternatives require expensive infrastructure and technology, which may make them less feasible for widespread use. Additionally, some alternatives may have limitations in terms of the amount of energy they can store or the rate at which they can discharge it.