How Can You Measure Phase Angle with Distorted Current Without Filters?

• Thread starter hisham.i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: What is DWT?DWT is a more recent term for a Discrete Fourier Transform. It is used to analyze signals that are non-linear in nature.
hisham.i
Am trying to measure the phase angle between voltage and current, so i thought about zero crossing detection method, but the problem is that the current i am sensing is highly distorted, so i am trying to find a solution without using filters.

After searching i found a phase meter on the internet that works using multiple zero crossing detection but i didn't understand how this method works.

If anyone has idea of how this algorithm works please share your ideas.

This is the link of the phase meter that i found
http://www.powertekuk.com/phasemeter.htm

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The angle you are looking for is the angle between the fundamental components of voltage and current. You need to look at Fourier transform theory. This is the method used by the phase meter you are referring to (Discrete Fourier Transform).

M.

But what can i understand from multiple zero crossing detection?, how does this algorithm works?

This word is mentioned in the picture to the right.

The usual methods are either,

1. BPF and zero crossing detect.

Or

2. DSP and FFT (as Mbert suggested).

The DSP method is more reliable as analog BPF's with high Q can have a significant phase error if you're off the center frequency by even a small amount. So it's kind of a no win situation if you've got a lot of distortion or noise. You either use a low Q filter with small phase error but suffer from the noise and distortion not fully removed, or you use a high Q filter which adequately removes the noise and distortion but introduces it's own errors if there is even a slight center frequency error/drift.

One way I have seen the above (non DSP) problem reasonable well handled however was with the use of a switched capacitor filter that had it's clock input frequency locked to that of the voltage signal, so that the center frequency always tracked the signal frequency. (that one was designed and built by me btw. :smile:)

There is also a more recent approach that uses DWT (discrete wavelet tranform), but you're probably better off with just a Discrete Fourier Transform. Forget about the multiple zero crossing detection.

M.

1. What is distorted current sensing?

Distorted current sensing is a method used to measure the flow of electricity in a circuit, while taking into account any distortions or disruptions in the current caused by factors such as noise, harmonics, or non-linear loads.

2. How does distorted current sensing work?

Distorted current sensing typically involves using a sensor, such as a Hall effect sensor or a Rogowski coil, to measure the current in a circuit. The sensor outputs a signal, which is then processed by a microcontroller or other device to calculate the distorted current values.

3. What are the benefits of using distorted current sensing?

Distorted current sensing allows for more accurate and reliable measurements of current in a circuit, as it takes into account any distortions or disruptions that may affect the readings. This is especially important in power systems, where non-linear loads can cause significant distortions in the current.

4. What are some common applications of distorted current sensing?

Distorted current sensing is commonly used in power quality monitoring, energy management, and industrial control systems. It is also used in renewable energy systems, such as solar and wind power, to monitor the current flow and ensure efficient and safe operation.

5. Are there any limitations to distorted current sensing?

While distorted current sensing is a useful tool for measuring current in a circuit, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be able to accurately measure currents with very high or very low frequencies, and may be affected by external magnetic fields or temperature changes. It is important to carefully select and calibrate the sensing equipment to minimize these limitations.