DIY headphone wiring (nylon-stranded wire)

In summary, the individual tried connecting the three wires (GROUND, GREEN, and RED) as shown in the picture, but only received low-volume sound. They found that connecting either the GREEN or RED wire to the device's casing resulted in normal volume, which they found surprising. They also mentioned the possibility of the GROUND wire having enamel on it and planned to remove it. The expert suggests that the wires do not need to have the enamel stripped off as it will dissolve during soldering. They also advise the individual to neaten up the wiring and practice soldering before attempting it on the actual wires.
courteous
I've connected the 3 wires as shown in the picture: GROUND, GREEN, and RED (the latter 2 having their enamel removed).
[PLAIN]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4133/nylonstranded.jpg
But I'm getting only low-volume (un-amplified) sound. Now, if I connect either GREEN or RED wire to the device's casing/housing (the metal part of it), I do get "normal" volume.

Why is this so? Shouldn't this be the GROUND wire's job?

PS. Perhaps the GROUND does have (transparent) enamel on it? I'll try to "remove" it either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a lovely bird's nest in the picture. It's hard to see what you have actually done with all those wispy bits of fine wire.

I am assuming that you will be soldering the wires. This type of wire doesn't usually need to have the enamel stripped off it as the enamel dissolves in the hot solder.
But you are right to be surprised that you need to connect to the case of the player. The 'outers' of the individual channels should go to the signal ground. You may not actually have made this connection with the 'fuzzy' arrangement you show in the picture or you may have shorted the signals to ground in your attempt to connect it up in that way.
Neaten it up significantly and it should work ok for you.
If you aren't familiar with soldering then try it on some gash bits of wire first. It just requires a bit of practice.

Yes, that is a mess. :) I'll clean it up and solder it.

Thank you for your reassurance that I wasn't making some blunder regarding the casing behaviour.

1. What is the purpose of using nylon-stranded wire for DIY headphone wiring?

Nylon-stranded wire is commonly used in DIY headphone wiring because it is a flexible and durable material. The nylon coating helps protect the wire from wear and tear, making it less likely to break or fray over time. It also allows for easier manipulation and routing of the wire during the DIY process.

2. How do I determine the correct gauge of nylon-stranded wire to use for my DIY headphone wiring?

The gauge of wire you should use for DIY headphone wiring will depend on the specific headphones and components you are working with. Generally, a thinner gauge wire (higher number) is suitable for smaller, more delicate headphones, while a thicker gauge wire (lower number) is better for larger, more powerful headphones. It is important to consult the specifications of your headphones and components to determine the appropriate gauge of wire to use.

3. Are there any special tools or equipment required for working with nylon-stranded wire in DIY headphone wiring?

While there are no specific tools required, having a wire stripper or wire cutter can make the process of working with nylon-stranded wire easier. These tools can help you strip off the nylon coating and expose the copper wire inside, as well as cut the wire to the desired length. Additionally, having a soldering iron and solder can be useful for ensuring secure connections between wires and components.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience with wiring in order to successfully use nylon-stranded wire for DIY headphone projects?

While prior knowledge or experience with wiring can be helpful, it is not always necessary. There are many resources available online and in books that can guide you through the process of DIY headphone wiring using nylon-stranded wire. It is important to take your time, follow instructions carefully, and double-check your work to ensure a successful project.

5. Can I use nylon-stranded wire for other DIY electronics projects besides headphone wiring?

Yes, nylon-stranded wire is commonly used in a variety of DIY electronics projects besides headphone wiring. Its flexibility, durability, and ease of use make it a popular choice for wiring in projects such as speaker systems, guitar pedals, and circuit boards. However, it is important to make sure the wire's gauge is appropriate for the specific project you are working on.