Force due to a submersible water pump to move an underwater vehicle

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to find the force exerted by a 500 GPH submersible bilge pump for a university course project. The team is using this pump to create vertical movement for a submersible vehicle and the speaker is trying to understand the force to design the control system. Different equations and approaches are discussed, including dimensional analysis and the use of pressure and water density, but the conversion to Newtons is not straightforward. The idea of including hydrodynamics in the model is mentioned, but it could complicate things. The conversation ends with a suggestion to look into the velocity of the water leaving the pump's outlet and the concept of thrust.
DrewMan776

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the force exerted by a 500 GPH (gallons per hour) submersible bilge pump.

My team is designing a submersible vehicle for our university course. The vehicle is only supposed to move up and down in the vertical direction; basically it should just be able to change its depth. We're using submersible bilge pumps to move the vehicle. I'm designing the control system using an embedded microprocessor and I'm trying to understand the force exerted by the pump to correctly design the control logic.

The spec for the pump is just gallons per hour, and I think there should be a way, using pressure, water density etc, to convert this to a force in Newtons, but I can't quite get there.

Homework Equations

Pressure = Density * Gravity * Height
Pressure = Force / Area
Density = Mass / Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried a dimensional analysis to get Gallons per hour into Newtons, but it isn't quite that simple:

1 N = 1 kg * m / s^2
1 Gallon / hour = 1.05 * 10^-6 [m^3 / s]
Density of water = 1000 kg/m3

I don't think there is a way to manipulate the units to obtain Newtons. I don't think that Gallons per hour is in fact a force, but a flow rate, so we need more information.

Then I tried using the equation for pressure:
Assuming the water pump is facing up, and the vehicle is 10 m under the surface of the water tank, then I think that the pressure on the pump is:

Pressure acting on the pump = pgh = (1000 kg / m^3) * (9.8 m/s^2) * 10 m

Then, to move the vehicle, the pump must exert a force:

F = Pressure acting on the pump / Area of pump nozzle

But this doesn't take into account the 500 GPH rating of the pump, so we still need more information.

I don't particularly want to include hydrodynamics in this simple model because it would definitely complicate things.

I think the pieces are there, I just can't make them fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want to look at the velocity of the water as it leaves the pump's outlet. This will be affected by the ambient pressure to some extent (maybe not significantly: it depends upon the depth of the tank and the capabilities of the pump; some pumps will deliver a given volumetric rate of water against a wide range of pressure conditions). It will certainly depend upon the diameter of the outlet nozzle.

Next investigate "thrust", as in rocket thrust.

What is force due to a submersible water pump?

The force due to a submersible water pump refers to the amount of force exerted on an underwater vehicle by the pump to move it through the water. This force is necessary to overcome the resistance of the water and propel the vehicle forward.

How does a submersible water pump move an underwater vehicle?

A submersible water pump moves an underwater vehicle by creating a pressure difference between the front and back of the vehicle. The pump sucks in water from the front and ejects it out of the back, creating a thrust force that pushes the vehicle forward.

What factors affect the force due to a submersible water pump?

The force due to a submersible water pump can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the pump, the size and design of the pump, the depth of the water, and the size and shape of the underwater vehicle. These factors can impact the amount of water that is pumped and the resulting force generated.

How is the force due to a submersible water pump calculated?

The force due to a submersible water pump can be calculated using the equation F = ρQV, where ρ is the density of water, Q is the flow rate of the pump, and V is the velocity of the water ejected from the pump. This equation takes into account the mass and velocity of the water to determine the force.

What are the practical applications of understanding force due to a submersible water pump?

Understanding the force due to a submersible water pump is crucial in designing and operating underwater vehicles, such as submarines and remotely operated vehicles (ROVs). It also plays a role in marine engineering and can help improve the efficiency and performance of water pumps used in various industries.