Mathematica Version 5 help

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter waldy73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation is about a Mathematica code that works for version 4 but not version 5, and the speaker is looking for suggestions on how to fix it. They are using equations and initial conditions to solve for the variables x, y, and z, but are encountering an error message. They are advised to seek help from a forum where people can provide creative solutions.
waldy73
This mathematica code works for version 4 but i can't get it to work in version 5. Does anybody have any sugestions.

F = {Fx, Fy, Fz};
r = {x[t], y[t], z[t]};
EF = {Ex, Ey, Ez};
BF = {Bx, By, Bz};
v = D[r, t]

F = q EF + q Cross[v, BF]

eq1 = F - m D[r, {t, 2}] == 0 // Thread;
eq1 // ColumnForm

initial = {
x[0] == 0, x'[0] == 0,
y[0] == 0, y'[0] == 0,
z[0] == 0, z'[0] == 0};

fields = Thread /@ {BF -> {0, 0, m ω0/
q}, EF -> {E0 Cos[ω t], 0, 0}} // Flatten

eqs = Join[eq1, initial] /. fields

dsol = DSolve[eqs, {x[t], y[t], z[t]}, t] // Flatten // FullSimplify
when i do this last part i get this message

DSolve::bvnul: "For some branches of the general solution, the given boundary \
conditions lead to an empty solution.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

It is possible that there may be some changes in syntax or functionality between Mathematica version 4 and version 5 that could be causing the code to not work. One suggestion would be to check the documentation for version 5 and see if there are any updates or changes that may be affecting the code. Additionally, you could try reaching out to the Mathematica community or support team for further assistance.

What is Mathematica Version 5?

Mathematica Version 5 is a computer program used for mathematical and scientific computations, data analysis, and visualization. It was released in 2003 and is the fifth major version of the Mathematica software by Wolfram Research.

How do I access the help function in Mathematica Version 5?

To access the help function in Mathematica Version 5, you can click on the Help menu at the top of the screen and select "Documentation Center." You can also use the shortcut key "F1" on your keyboard.

What types of mathematical functions can be performed in Mathematica Version 5?

Mathematica Version 5 can perform a wide range of mathematical functions, including algebraic operations, calculus, linear algebra, statistics, and more. It also has specialized functions for image and signal processing, as well as graph theory and combinatorics.

Can I use Mathematica Version 5 for data analysis and visualization?

Yes, Mathematica Version 5 has powerful tools for data analysis and visualization. It can handle large datasets, perform statistical tests, and create various types of charts and graphs to help you visualize your data.

Is Mathematica Version 5 compatible with other programming languages?

Yes, Mathematica Version 5 is compatible with other programming languages such as C, Java, and Python. You can use it to call external functions written in these languages and incorporate them into your Mathematica code.