Measuring Distance on a Cylinder - Ideas & Opinions Wanted

In summary, the conversation discusses a task to measure distance at two points 200 mm apart on a 300 mm diameter cylinder. The idea is to use two lasers mounted 200 mm apart to measure the time traveled by both beams, but the speaker is seeking opinions on the design and feasibility study. They also welcome thoughts on laser specifications and suppliers. One person suggests using ultrasound instead of light and another asks for a diagram of the setup.
subhamies
Hi all
I have assigned a task to measure distance at two points separated 200 mm apart on a cylinder having diameter about 300 mm dia. The distance from point and measuring point will be 150 mm and that of for second point will be 150.05mm.I have an idea of using two lasers mounted 200 mm apart on a fixture and measure the time traveled by both beams and calculate the distance.
But I am looking after opinion for design in view to carry out feasbility study in details.I also welcome the thoughts/opinion for laser specifications and suppliers thereof.
All thoughts are highly appreciated.
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you show a diagram of your setup? I don't think, at these distances, that time of travel will be an effective means to measure distance. Would your setup lend itself to interferometry?

Perhaps you could think in terms of ultrasound instead of light?

What is the purpose of measuring distance on a cylinder?

The purpose of measuring distance on a cylinder is to determine the length or circumference of the cylinder. This measurement can be useful in various applications such as engineering, manufacturing, and construction.

What are some methods for measuring distance on a cylinder?

Some methods for measuring distance on a cylinder include using a tape measure, calipers, or a string. Another method is to use a formula to calculate the distance based on the radius and height of the cylinder.

How accurate are measurements of distance on a cylinder?

The accuracy of measurements of distance on a cylinder depends on the precision of the measuring tool and the skill of the person taking the measurement. Generally, using a more precise measuring tool and taking multiple measurements can increase the accuracy.

Are there any limitations to measuring distance on a cylinder?

One limitation of measuring distance on a cylinder is that it assumes the cylinder is perfectly round. If there are any irregularities or deformities in the cylinder, it can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, the curvature of the cylinder may make it difficult to get an exact measurement.

How can measuring distance on a cylinder be applied in real-world scenarios?

Measuring distance on a cylinder can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the volume of a cylindrical tank, determining the length of a pipe, or measuring the circumference of a tire. It can also be used to design and construct objects with cylindrical shapes, such as cans, bottles, and tubes.