Existence of a Critical Point for Differentiable Functions on Closed Intervals

• Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the author claims that if f and g are continuous real functions on [a,b] which are differentiable on (a,b), then there exists a point x \in (a,b) such that [f(b)-f(a)]g'(x) = [g(b)-g(a)]f'(x). The author provides a proof that this exists.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

If f and g are continuous real functions on [a,b] which are differentiable on (a,b), then there exists a point [itex]x \in (a,b)[/itex] such that [itex][f(b)-f(a)]g'(x) = [g(b)-g(a)]f'(x)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if my reasoning is correct here... I can assume that closed intervals are compact, and if a function a real function f defined on an interval [a,b] obtains a maximum value at a point x such that a<x<b, and if f' exists, then f'(x) = 0.

Proof: Define [itex]\gamma : [a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by the rule [itex]\gamma(t) = [f(b)-f(a)]g(t) - [g(b) - g(a)]f(t)[/itex]. Want to show their exists a point [itex]x \in (a,b)[/itex] such that [itex]\gamma'(x) = 0[/itex]. Observe that [itex]\gamma(a) = \gamma(b)[/itex]. Hence if [itex] t \in (a,b) [/itex] such that [itex]\gamma(a) = \gamma(b) < \gamma(t)[/itex], then since [a,b] is compact, f obtains a maximum value on [a,b]. Call this point at which [itex]\gamma[/itex] obtains a maximum value x. [itex]x\neq a[/itex] since [itex]\gamma(a) < \gamma(t)[/itex]. Similar reasoning shows that [itex]x \neq b[/itex]. Hence since [itex]\gamma[/itex] obtains a maximum value at x, it follows that [itex]\gamma'(x) = 0[/itex]. This completes the proof. If instead [itex]t \in (a,b)[/itex] such that [itex]\gamma(t) < \gamma(a) = \gamma(b)[/itex], then same conclusion holds following similar reasoning.

I'd like to know whether my reasoning that x can equal neither a nor b is correct.:smile: (and if this is sufficiently rigorous by your standards.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it looks good.

Wait I have an individual question for you. I admit to my noobiness, but I just want to ask you a question. So, suppose you could treat this as a form of a chain rule. Could you use inverse function to prove this exists as well such that finverseb-finversea=g'(x)? I mean sorry I didn't symbolize it correctly, but when I see this, I automatically recognize some inverse relations applied with the chain rule. I could be wrong though. You care to elaborate?

What does it mean to "check my proof"?

"Checking a proof" refers to the process of verifying the logical and mathematical accuracy of a statement or argument. It involves carefully examining the steps and reasoning used to arrive at a given conclusion, and identifying any errors or gaps in the proof.

Why is it important to have someone check my proof?

Having someone else check your proof is important because it provides an objective and critical perspective. It can help catch any mistakes or oversights that you may have missed, and ensure the validity and credibility of your argument or statement.

Who is qualified to check my proof?

Ideally, someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the field of the proof would be the most qualified to check it. This could be a colleague, mentor, or a professional in the field. It is important to select someone who has a strong understanding of the topic and is able to provide constructive feedback.

What should I expect when someone checks my proof?

You should expect to receive feedback and suggestions on potential errors, areas that need clarification or further explanation, and any gaps or weaknesses in your argument. It is important to approach this feedback with an open mind and use it to improve and strengthen your proof.

How can I find someone to check my proof?

You can reach out to colleagues, mentors, or professionals in the field for assistance. You can also join online communities or forums related to the topic of your proof and ask for feedback there. Additionally, you can hire a professional proofreader or editor to review your proof for accuracy and clarity.