Molality: Calculate Aqueous Solution Density 1g/(cm^3)

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molality
In summary, to find the molality of an aqueous solution containing 1g/L of a certain protein with molar mass 9.0 x 10^4 g/mol, with a density of 1g/(cm^3), you can use the equation g solute= g solvent to determine the moles of solute over kilograms of solvent. This approach assumes that adding a gram of protein to a liter of water does not change its volume, making it possible to find the molality.
bomba923
How do I find the molality of an aqueous solution containing 1g/L of a certain protein with molar mass 9.0 x 10^4 g/mol if the density of the solution is 1g/(cm^3)??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Molality is expressed with mole of the solute in one kilogram of solution. Try this approach first.

My book says molality is moles of solute over kilograms solvent.

My question/problem is how to find the kilograms of solvent

U needn't.Use what Chem_Tr told u and a bit of logics.Just to get u started

1g protein--------------------->1L solution
1g solution--------------------->1 cc solution

Question:
1g protein--------------------->x Kg solution...

Why didn't i pick "g solution" in the last line??Because u need to find moles protein/Kg solution...

Daniel.

bomba923 said:
My book says molality is moles of solute over kilograms solvent.

My question/problem is how to find the kilograms of solvent
You may assume that adding a gram of protein to a liter of water does not change its volume (or the density).

In that case...yes!--I can find it

What is molality?

Molality is a measure of a solution's concentration, defined as the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent.

How is molality different from molarity?

Molality is different from molarity in that it takes into account the mass of the solvent, rather than the volume. This makes it a more accurate measure of concentration for solutions with varying densities.

How do you calculate the molality of a solution?

The molality of a solution can be calculated by dividing the moles of solute by the mass of the solvent in kilograms.

What is the equation for calculating molality?

The equation for calculating molality is: molality = (moles of solute)/(mass of solvent in kg).

Why is molality important in scientific research?

Molality is important in scientific research because it is a more accurate measure of concentration for solutions with varying densities. It is also used in various calculations, such as determining freezing point depression and boiling point elevation, and in understanding the behavior of solutions in different conditions.