Is only GR enough for proved the event horizon

In summary, the conversation revolves around a project involving photons at the event horizon of a black hole. The speaker is using General Relativity to prove that nothing can escape from the event horizon, but a professor suggests using string theory instead. The speaker is unsure about using string theory and is seeking help. It is mentioned that the project is for a high school course and the speaker has not learned about string theory in class.
hypernova
I do a little project about photon at the event horizon. I use GR to proved that anything in the event horizon can't escape from black hole, but a Prof. say that I must use string theory.But I did't accept with him.So, if someone know about it.Please Help me :cry: .

(I have to tell you that I'm thai people so my english may terrible.Please Forgive me for that.And if someone already ask this question, I'm sorry for ask it again.But I didn't find it anywhere in the forum)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why does he say you have to use string theory?

Are you taking a string theory course?

Is he a string theory professor?

For what purpose are you working on this problem? For some purposes just getting the answer would be enough, but for other purposes, like learning to do string physics, you would have to use a particular method.

ADDED: Here is a set of introductory lecture note on black holes and string theory. http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/9901/9901050.pdf . I found it by searching on the four words photon string black hole with google scholar.

Last edited by a moderator:
hypernova said:
I do a little project about photon at the event horizon. I use GR to proved that anything in the event horizon can't escape from black hole, but a Prof. say that I must use string theory.But I did't accept with him.So, if someone know about it.Please Help me :cry: .

(I have to tell you that I'm thai people so my english may terrible.Please Forgive me for that.And if someone already ask this question, I'm sorry for ask it again.But I didn't find it anywhere in the forum)
The existence and description of black holes have been around since before string theory existed. In no way does one have to use string theory to prove anything in relativity.

Pete

You can use string theory to 'prove' just about anything. I consider it an exercise in futility.

Thank you everyone for your answer.I'll do more research.
My project is just a high school project and I didn't learn any of string in class. I just want to know how GR tell us that it's not have anything that can escape from black hole.

1. Is general relativity (GR) the only theory needed to prove the existence of an event horizon?

Yes, according to the theory of general relativity, the presence of a massive object can cause spacetime to bend, creating an event horizon. This is the point of no return for any object or particle, including light, that crosses it.

2. Can any other theories or models be used to prove the presence of an event horizon?

While general relativity is the most widely accepted theory for explaining the existence of an event horizon, there are other theories, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, that have also been proposed as possible explanations. However, these theories are still being studied and have not yet been proven to be accurate.

3. How does general relativity explain the formation of an event horizon?

According to general relativity, the presence of a massive object causes spacetime to curve, creating a gravitational pull that is strong enough to trap anything, including light, within a certain distance from the object. This distance is known as the event horizon.

4. Are there any observational evidence for the existence of an event horizon?

Yes, there have been numerous observations of objects, such as black holes, that exhibit characteristics consistent with the presence of an event horizon. These include the bending of light around the object and the detection of gravitational waves, which are predicted by general relativity.

5. Can the existence of an event horizon be proven without using general relativity?

At this time, there is no other theory or model that has been proven to accurately explain the existence of an event horizon. While some alternative theories have been proposed, they have not yet been supported by strong evidence or observations. Therefore, general relativity remains the most widely accepted theory for understanding the event horizon.