Solve Integral: 50 + 14sin(πt/12) | 0 to 12

• Thread starter ziddy83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral and the experts recommend using a simple substitution method instead of trigonometric substitution or integration by parts. The limits of integration should also be taken into consideration. The conversation also touches on the anti-derivative of sin kt and the correct substitution to use. The person asking for help successfully solved the problem using the recommended method.
ziddy83
integrals, oh yeah...

hey what's up,
Ok so...i am having a little bit of a problem on solving the following integral...

[tex]\int_{0}^{12} 50 + 14 sin\frac{\pi t}{12} dt [/tex]

would i use...trig substitution or by parts?... :uhh: yeah...i need some help..thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No,need for part integration,a simple,obvious substitution would do it.Pay attention to the change of limits (of integration).

Daniel.

wait maybe i don't see it...would i let u= sin pi t/12? and then get du...?

Last edited:
The [tex]\int (a + b) = \int a + \int b[/tex]

So the only thing that seems tricky is the second part.

Let [tex] u = \frac{\pi{t}}{12} , du = \frac{\pi}{12}[/tex]

Set [tex] \frac{\pi}{12} = 14dx [/tex] and put the new integral in the form of

[tex] C*\int sin(u)du[/tex]

You don't need any substitution. You have the following:

The second part is:

[tex]14 \int \sin (kt) dt[/tex]

where [tex]k=\frac{\pi}{12}[/tex]

The anti-derivative of sin kt is [tex]\frac{-\cos kt}{k}[/tex]

Or you could do it like that. Good point. :rolleyes: :tongue2:

great...thanks a lot guys...i got the right answer for the problem. i just used the substitution of [tex] u = \frac{\pi{t}}{12} [/tex] and brought out all of the constants. Thanks again.

1. What is the purpose of solving this integral?

The purpose of solving this integral is to find the area under the curve of the given function, which can provide valuable information about the behavior and characteristics of the function.

2. How do you approach solving this type of integral?

The first step is to determine if the given function is continuous and differentiable on the given interval. Then, we can use specific integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to solve the integral.

3. What is the significance of the numbers 50 and 12 in the given integral?

The number 50 represents a constant term in the given function, while 12 is used as a unit of time in the interval. The function represents a periodic behavior over a 12-hour period, with the amplitude of the sine function being 14.

4. Can this integral be solved using a calculator or do you need to use specific methods?

This integral cannot be solved using a basic calculator as it requires knowledge of integration techniques. However, there are online calculators or software that can solve integrals numerically.

5. What is the significance of the π in the given function?

The π represents the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, which is a constant value in mathematics. In this function, it is used to convert the given time interval from hours to radians, as the sine function operates in radians.